Terms Used In Washington Code > Chapter 15.83 - Agricultural marketing and fair practices
- Accredited association of producers: means an association of producers which is accredited by the director to be the exclusive negotiation agent for all producer members of the association within a negotiating unit. See Washington Code 15.83.010
- Agricultural products: as used in this chapter means pears, sweet corn, and potatoes produced for sale from farms in this state. See Washington Code 15.83.010
- Association of producers: means any association of producers of agricultural products engaged in marketing, negotiating for its members, shipping, or processing as defined in section 15(a) of the federal agriculture marketing act of 1929 or in section 1 of 42 Stat. See Washington Code 15.83.010
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Director: means the director of the department of agriculture. See Washington Code 15.83.010
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Handler: means a processor or a person engaged in the business or practice of:
Washington Code 15.83.010
Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases. Negotiate: means meeting at reasonable times and for reasonable periods of time commencing at least sixty days before the normal planting date for sweet corn and potatoes, or at least sixty days before the normal harvest date for pears, and concluding within thirty days of the normal planting date for sweet corn and potatoes, or within thirty days of the normal harvest date for pears, to make a serious, fair, and reasonable attempt to reach agreement by acknowledging or refuting with reason points brought up by either party with respect to the price, terms of sale, compensation for products produced under contract, or other terms relating to the production or sale of these products: PROVIDED, That neither party shall be required to disclose proprietary business or financial records or information. See Washington Code 15.83.010 Negotiating unit: means a negotiating unit approved by the director under RCW 15. See Washington Code 15.83.010 Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period. Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses. Person: means an individual, partnership, corporation, association, or any other entity. See Washington Code 15.83.010 Processor: means any person that purchases agricultural crops from a producer and cans, freezes, dries, dehydrates, cooks, presses, powders, or otherwise processes those crops in any manner for eventual resale. See Washington Code 15.83.010 Producer: means a person engaged in the production of agricultural products as a farmer or planter, including a grower or farmer furnishing inputs, production management, or facilities for growing or raising agricultural products. See Washington Code 15.83.010 Qualified commodity: means agricultural products as defined in subsection (3) of this section. See Washington Code 15.83.010 Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.