As used in this article, the following words and phrases are hereby defined:
Terms Used In West Virginia Code 29-21-2
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Extradition: The formal process of delivering an accused or convicted person from authorities in one state to authorities in another state.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- judgment: includes decrees and orders for the payment of money or the conveyance or delivery of land or personal property, or some interest therein, or any undertaking, bond or recognizance which has the legal effect of a judgment. See West Virginia Code 2-2-10
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Public defender: Represent defendants who can't afford an attorney in criminal matters.
- state: when applied to a part of the United States and not restricted by the context, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories, and the words "United States" also include the said district and territories. See West Virginia Code 2-2-10
(1) "Eligible client": Any person who meets the requirements established by this article to receive publicly funded legal representation in an eligible proceeding as defined herein;
(2) "Eligible proceeding": Criminal charges which may result in incarceration; juvenile proceedings; proceedings to revoke parole or probation if the revocation may result in incarceration; contempt of court; child abuse and neglect proceedings which may result in a termination of parental rights; mental hygiene commitment proceedings; extradition proceedings; proceedings which are ancillary to an eligible proceeding, including, but not limited to, proceedings to enhance sentences brought pursuant to sections eighteen and nineteen, article eleven, chapter sixty-one of this code, forfeiture proceedings brought pursuant to article seven, chapter sixty-a of this code, and proceedings brought to obtain extraordinary remedies; and appeals from or post-conviction challenges to the final judgment in an eligible proceeding. Legal representation provided pursuant to the provisions of this article is limited to the court system of the State of West Virginia, but does not include representation in municipal courts unless the accused is at risk of incarceration;
(3) "Legal representation": The provision of any legal services or legal assistance as counsel or guardian ad litem consistent with the purposes and provisions of this article;
(4) "Private practice of law": The provision of legal representation by a public defender or assistant public defender to a client who is not entitled to receive legal representation under the provisions of this article, but does not include, among other activities, teaching;
(5) "Public defender": The staff attorney employed on a full-time basis by a public defender corporation who, in addition to providing direct representation to eligible clients, has administrative responsibility for the operation of the public defender corporation. The public defender may be a part-time employee if the board of directors of the public defender corporation finds efficient operation of the corporation does not require a full-time attorney and the executive director approves such part-time employment;
(6) "Assistant public defender": A staff attorney providing direct representation to eligible clients whose salary and status as a full-time or part-time employee are fixed by the board of directors of the public defender corporation;
(7) "Public defender corporation": A corporation created under section eight of this article for the sole purpose of providing legal representation to eligible clients; and
(8) "Public defender office": An office operated by a public defender corporation to provide legal representation under the provisions of this article.