|§ 716||Public Defender; Appointment; Term; Other Employees|
|§ 717||Public Defender; Duties|
|§ 718||Appointment of Other Counsel|
|§ 720||Annual Report|
Terms Used In New York Laws > County > Article 18-A - Public Defender
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Attorney-at-law: A person who is legally qualified and licensed to practice law, and to represent and act for clients in legal proceedings.
- capital costs: means the costs of a local government, a voluntary agency, or the facilities development corporation with respect to the acquisition of real property estates, interests, and cooperative interests in realty, their design, construction, reconstruction, rehabilitation and improvement, original furnishings and equipment, site development, and appurtenances of a local facility. See N.Y. Mental Hygiene Law 41.03
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- director: means the director of community services, who is the chief executive officer of a local governmental unit, by whatever title known. See N.Y. Mental Hygiene Law 41.03
- Entitlement: A Federal program or provision of law that requires payments to any person or unit of government that meets the eligibility criteria established by law. Entitlements constitute a binding obligation on the part of the Federal Government, and eligible recipients have legal recourse if the obligation is not fulfilled. Social Security and veterans' compensation and pensions are examples of entitlement programs.
- local governmental unit: means the unit of local government given authority in accordance with this chapter by local government to provide local services. See N.Y. Mental Hygiene Law 41.03
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- Public defender: Represent defendants who can't afford an attorney in criminal matters.
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.