(1) Definition. In this section, “public insurrection” means a civil disturbance in which a group or groups of persons are simultaneously engaged in acts of violence against persons or property by the illegal use of weapons, by burning, pillaging or looting or by committing any other illegal acts, and which is of such a magnitude as to result in any of the following:
Terms Used In Wisconsin Statutes 106.25
- Following: when used by way of reference to any statute section, means the section next following that in which the reference is made. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504
- Municipality: includes cities and villages; it may be construed to include towns. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504
- Property: includes real and personal property. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504
- State: when applied to states of the United States, includes the District of Columbia, the commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the several territories organized by Congress. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504
(am) Extraordinary utilization of off-duty local law enforcement personnel.
(b) Declaration of a public emergency by the governor.
(c) The calling of the national guard or other troops.
(2) Death and disability benefits. If the department finds that the injury or death of a state or local government officer or employee arose out of the performance of duties in connection with a public insurrection, and finds that death or disability benefits are payable under ch. 102, a supplemental award equal to the amount of the benefits, other than medical expense, payable under ch. 102 shall be made to the persons and in the same manner provided by ch. 102, except that when benefits are payable under s. 102.49, a supplemental award equal to one-half the benefits payable under that section shall be made.
(3) Payments. All payments under this section shall be made from the general fund.
(4) Benefits additional to all others. Death and disability benefits under this section are in addition to all other benefits provided by state law or by action of any municipality or public agency.