Terms Used In Wisconsin Statutes > Chapter 102
- Adult: means a person who has attained the age of 18 years, except that for purposes of investigating or prosecuting a person who is alleged to have violated any state or federal criminal law or any civil law or municipal ordinance, "adult" means a person who has attained the age of 17 years. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- affirmed: In the practice of the appellate courts, the decree or order is declared valid and will stand as rendered in the lower court.
- annuity: A periodic (usually annual) payment of a fixed sum of money for either the life of the recipient or for a fixed number of years. A series of payments under a contract from an insurance company, a trust company, or an individual. Annuity payments are made at regular intervals over a period of more than one full year.
- answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- attorney-at-law: A person who is legally qualified and licensed to practice law, and to represent and act for clients in legal proceedings.
- bankruptcy: Refers to statutes and judicial proceedings involving persons or businesses that cannot pay their debts and seek the assistance of the court in getting a fresh start. Under the protection of the bankruptcy court, debtors may discharge their debts, perhaps by paying a portion of each debt. Bankruptcy judges preside over these proceedings.
- beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- Chiropractor: means a person holding a license issued by the chiropractic examining board. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- counterclaim: A claim that a defendant makes against a plaintiff.
- damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- docket: A log containing brief entries of court proceedings.
- electronic funds transfer: The transfer of money between accounts by consumer electronic systems-such as automated teller machines (ATMs) and electronic payment of bills-rather than by check or cash. (Wire transfers, checks, drafts, and paper instruments do not fall into this category.) Source: OCC
- Employee: as used in this chapter means:
(a) Every person, including all officials, in the service of the state, or of any local governmental unit in this state, whether elected or under any appointment or contract of hire, express or implied, and whether a resident of the state or employed or injured within or without the state. See Wisconsin Statutes 102.07
evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other. Farmer: means any person engaged in farming as defined. See Wisconsin Statutes 102.04 farming: means the operation of farm premises owned or rented by the operator. See Wisconsin Statutes 102.04 felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison. Fire department: includes a department under s. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Fire fighter: includes a person serving under s. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006. Following: when used by way of reference to any statute section, means the section next following that in which the reference is made. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another. guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs. in writing: includes any representation of words, letters, symbols or figures. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 indictment: The formal charge issued by a grand jury stating that there is enough evidence that the defendant committed the crime to justify having a trial; it is used primarily for felonies. injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury. Institution of higher education: means an institution within the University of Wisconsin System, a technical college, a tribally controlled college controlled by an Indian tribe that has elected under s. See Wisconsin Statutes 102.07 jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases. liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity. lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt. lineal descendant: Direct descendant of the same ancestors. Minor: means a person who has not attained the age of 18 years, except that for purposes of investigating or prosecuting a person who is alleged to have violated a state or federal criminal law or any civil law or municipal ordinance, "minor" does not include a person who has attained the age of 17 years. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement. Month: means a calendar month unless otherwise expressed. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Municipality: includes cities and villages; it may be construed to include towns. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Oath: includes affirmation in all cases where by law an affirmation may be substituted for an oath. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period. Officers: when applied to corporations include directors and trustees. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses. Person: includes all partnerships, associations and bodies politic or corporate. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Personal property: includes money, goods, chattels, things in action, evidences of debt and energy. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Personal representative: means a person, however denominated, who is authorized to administer a decedent's estate. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit. plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court. pleadings: Written statements of the parties in a civil case of their positions. In the federal courts, the principal pleadings are the complaint and the answer. Police officer: includes a person serving under s. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Preceding: when used by way of reference to any statute section, means the section next preceding that in which the reference is made. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Private school: has the meaning given in s. See Wisconsin Statutes 102.07 Promulgate: when used in connection with a rule, as defined under s. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Property: includes real and personal property. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Public school: means a school described in s. See Wisconsin Statutes 102.07 Qualified: when applied to any person elected or appointed to office, means that such person has done those things which the person was by law required to do before entering upon the duties of the person's office. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant. remand: When an appellate court sends a case back to a lower court for further proceedings. reporter: Makes a record of court proceedings and prepares a transcript, and also publishes the court's opinions or decisions (in the courts of appeals). service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party. settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims. State: when applied to states of the United States, includes the District of Columbia, the commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the several territories organized by Congress. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 statute: A law passed by a legislature. statute of limitations: A law that sets the time within which parties must take action to enforce their rights. subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony. summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system. testify: Answer questions in court. testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries. tort: A civil wrong or breach of a duty to another person, as outlined by law. A very common tort is negligent operation of a motor vehicle that results in property damage and personal injury in an automobile accident. transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition. trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence. trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust. United States: includes the District of Columbia, the states, the commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the territories organized by congress. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Village: means incorporated village. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Week: means 7 consecutive days. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed; "year" alone means "year of our Lord". See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01