Terms Used In Wisconsin Statutes 181.1407
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Following: when used by way of reference to any statute section, means the section next following that in which the reference is made. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Officers: when applied to corporations include directors and trustees. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Person: includes all partnerships, associations and bodies politic or corporate. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Property: includes real and personal property. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
(1) Commencement of actions or proceedings. Except as provided in s. 181.1406 (4), the dissolution of a corporation does not take away or impair any remedy available to or against the corporation, its directors, officers or members, for any right or claim existing or any liability incurred, prior to such dissolution if action or other proceeding thereon is commenced within 2 years after the date of such dissolution. Any such action or proceeding by or against the corporation may be prosecuted or defended by the corporation in its corporate name. The members, directors and officers have the power to take such corporate or other action as is appropriate to protect such remedy, right or claim.
(2) Enforcement of claim against corporation. A claim may be enforced under this section against any of the following:
(a) The dissolved corporation, to the extent of its undistributed assets.
(b) If the assets have been distributed in liquidation, any person, other than a creditor of the corporation, to whom the corporation distributed its property to the extent of the distributee’s prorated share of the claim or the corporate assets distributed to such person in liquidation, whichever is less, but the distributee’s total liability for all claims under this section may not exceed the total amount of assets distributed to the distributee.