Terms Used In Wisconsin Statutes 218.205
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Person: includes all partnerships, associations and bodies politic or corporate. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
(1) No person may carry on or conduct the business of a motor vehicle salvage dealer unless licensed to do so by the department. Any person violating this section may be required to forfeit not less than $500 nor more than $5,000 for the first offense and may be fined not less than $500 nor more than $5,000 or imprisoned for not more than 60 days or both for a second or subsequent conviction within 5 years.
(2) This section shall not apply to:
(a) Motor vehicle dealers licensed under s. 218.0114 who remove, but do not sell, as such, parts of motor vehicles prior to sale of such vehicles to motor vehicle salvage dealers or scrap metal processors.
(b) Scrap metal processors and portable scrap metal crushers who accept motor vehicles from only:
1. Licensed motor vehicle dealers;
2. Licensed motor vehicle salvage dealers; or
3. Municipalities, all of whom shall submit titles and reports to the department and retain records.
(c) Any person who acquires a motor vehicle for salvage purposes for his or her own use and then sells the remainder to a motor vehicle salvage dealer or to another person who will further use that motor vehicle for salvage purposes for his or her own use before selling it to a motor vehicle salvage dealer.
(d) Collectors of special interest vehicles who purchase or sell parts cars in compliance with s. 341.266.