Terms Used In Wisconsin Statutes 28.15
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Department: when used in this chapter without other words of description or qualification means the department of natural resources. See Wisconsin Statutes 28.005
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Land: includes lands, tenements and hereditaments and all rights thereto and interests therein. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- State: when applied to states of the United States, includes the District of Columbia, the commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the several territories organized by Congress. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed; "year" alone means "year of our Lord". See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
(1) In this section:
(a) “Cooperative agreement” means an agreement between the secretary or the governor and the secretary of the federal department of agriculture under which the department is responsible for conducting forest management activities on federal land in this state.
(b) “Federal land” has the meaning given in 16 USC § 2113a (a) (2).
(c) “Forest management activities” means harvesting and selling timber, activities that promote artificial and natural forest regeneration, and other activities to restore or improve the health of forests and forest watersheds, including fish and wildlife habitat in those forests and watersheds.
(2) As permitted by federal law, the department may conduct forest management activities on federal land under a cooperative agreement.
(3) As permitted by federal law, the department may contract with a county, private forester, or private contractor for the purpose of conducting forest management activities on federal land under a cooperative agreement.
(4) The department shall pay the initial costs of administering and implementing a cooperative agreement and any contracts entered into under sub. (3) from the appropriation under s. 20.370 (2) (mv).
(5) On June 30 of each fiscal year, 10 percent of the revenues received by the department in that fiscal year from the sale of timber from federal land under a cooperative agreement under this section shall lapse from the appropriation account under s. 20.370 (2) (cz) to the conservation fund. These amounts shall be lapsed until the total amount lapsed equals $750,000.