Louisiana Laws > Revised Statutes > Title 46 > Chapter 63 > § 46:2882 - Umbilical cord blood banking program; establishment; duties of the department of health and hospitals; funding
Current as of: 2009
A. The Umbilical Cord Blood Banking Program is hereby established within the Department of Health and Hospitals to promote public awareness of the potential benefits of cord blood banking, to promote research into the uses of cord blood, and to facilitate predelivery arrangements for banking of cord blood donations.
B. The department shall:
(1) Develop a public education and outreach campaign via written materials, brochures, the Internet, and public service announcements to promote cord blood banking awareness and the benefits of cord blood banking.
(2) Develop educational materials and brochures which shall be made available to the general public and potential cord blood donors through parish health units, health care practitioners, including obstetricians, gynecologists, and pediatricians, health maintenance organizations, hospitals, walk-in medical centers, mobile care units, surgical centers, urgent care centers, and clinics and organizations serving pregnant women.
(3) Coordinate and promote professional education programs for health care providers on the benefits of cord blood banking.
(4) Establish a statewide toll-free telephone number to receive requests for information and to direct potential cord blood donors to available cord blood banks serving the area in which a potential donor resides.
(5) Promulgate rules and regulations necessary to implement the provisions of this Chapter in accordance with the Administrative Procedure Act.
C. The department shall accept and expend any grants, awards, or other funds as may be made available for the purposes of this Section. Subject to an appropriation from the legislature, the department shall implement the provisions of this Section.
Acts 2008, No. 163, §1.Prev | Next
Federal Regulations: Anatomical Gifts