Current as of: 2010
(a) In this part the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) (1) "Deception" means knowingly to:
(i) create or confirm in another a false impression that the offender does not believe to be true;
(ii) fail to correct a false impression that the offender previously has created or confirmed;
(iii) prevent another from acquiring information pertinent to the disposition of the property involved;
(iv) sell or otherwise transfer or encumber property without disclosing a lien, adverse claim, or other legal impediment to the enjoyment of the property, regardless of whether the impediment is of value or a matter of official record;
(v) insert or deposit a slug in a vending machine;
(vi) remove or alter a label or price tag;
(vii) promise performance that the offender does not intend to perform or knows will not be performed; or
(viii) misrepresent the value of a motor vehicle offered for sale by tampering or interfering with its odometer, or by disconnecting, resetting, or altering its odometer with the intent to change the mileage indicated.
(2) "Deception" does not include puffing or false statements of immaterial facts and exaggerated representations that are unlikely to deceive an ordinary individual.
(c) "Deprive" means to withhold property of another:
(2) for a period that results in the appropriation of a part of the property’s value;
(3) with the purpose to restore it only on payment of a reward or other compensation; or
(4) to dispose of the property or use or deal with the property in a manner that makes it unlikely that the owner will recover it.
(d) (1) "Exert control" includes to take, carry away, appropriate to a person’s own use or sell, convey, or transfer title to an interest in or possession of property.
(2) "Exert control" does not include:
(i) to trespass on the land of another; or
(ii) to occupy the land of another without authorization.
(e) (1) "Interactive computer service" means an information service, system, or access software provider that provides or enables computer access by multiple users to a computer server.
(2) "Interactive computer service" includes a service or system that provides access to the Internet.
(f) "Motor vehicle" has the meaning stated in § 11-135 of the Transportation Article.
(g) "Obtain" means:
(1) in relation to property, to bring about a transfer of interest in or possession of the property; and
(2) in relation to a service, to secure the performance of the service.
(h) Except as otherwise expressly provided in Prev
Questions & Answers: Criminal Law
| Interesting read. I am in the sports betting industry and this will be useful for me....|
| I'm from California & got speeding ticket in Clark County, NV with the wrong color about my car. Do you think i should go to court to trial or just pay the bail? Pls. advise....|
| Gaylord hill,
To your question, yes how ever much jail time he had in, that gets credited to his sentencing to prison. But if his points are high, (points system is all the times h...|
| My son took a plea for cardnal knowledge of a juvanile, non aggregated, with a 3yr cap. Accuser was 14. Is there residential restrictions? He was living with me (parents) but we...|
| If someone is arrested for aggravated assault and the judge modifies the bond to let the person leave the state is the person who put up the bond for that person still responsible ...|
| I was living in Racine,WI, at a hotel with my ex fiance. My ex had been abusive towards me and in June 2012 he was abusive, left with my car and relapsed on crack, and I packed to ...|
U.S. Code Provisions: Criminal Law