Current as of: 2009
As used in this chapter:
1. "Agency" or "governmental agency" means all political subdivisions and any state agency, board, bureau, commission, department, officer, and any state institution or enterprise authorized to employ individuals either temporarily or permanently.
2. "Chief deputy" means the individual who is appointed by an elected or appointed official under express statutory authority to hire a chief deputy and who is authorized to act on behalf of that official. The term does not include an individual appointed to a position that must be filled under a personnel system.
3. "Disabled veteran" means a veteran who is found to be entitled to a service-connected disability rating as determined by the United States veterans' administration.
4. "Justifiable cause" means grounds for action that are in accord with sufficient reason that can be justified or defended as correct. Justifiable cause not to hire a veteran must be something specific to that individual which renders the individual unsuitable for the position.
5. "Personnel system" means a system that rates applicants for a position using an objective set of skills, knowledge, abilities, behaviors, or other characteristics required for the position.
6. "Political subdivision" means counties, cities, townships, and any other governmental entity created by state law which employs individuals either temporarily or permanently.
7. "Private secretary" means the individual who is appointed by an elected or appointed official under express legal authority to hire a private secretary or administrative assistant and who is authorized to handle correspondence, keep files, schedule appointments, and do other clerical work of a more personal and confidential nature for that official, but does not include an individual appointed to a position that must be filled under a personnel system.
8. "Veteran" means a North Dakota resident who is a wartime veteran as defined in subsection 2 of section 37-01-40.
Questions & Answers: Veterans
North Dakota Laws: Veterans
U.S. Code Provisions: Veterans
Federal Regulations: Veterans