Current as of: 2011
§ 13.1-1242. Application for certificate of registration.
A. A foreign business trust may apply to the Commission for a certificate of registration to transact business in the Commonwealth. The application shall be made on a form prescribed and furnished by the Commission. The application shall set forth:
1. The name of the foreign business trust and, if the business trust is prevented by § 13.1-1244 from using its own name in the Commonwealth, a designated name that satisfies the requirements of § 13.1-1244;
2. The name of the state or other jurisdiction under whose law it is formed, the date of its formation, and if the business trust was previously authorized or registered to transact business in the Commonwealth as a foreign corporation, limited liability company, business trust, limited partnership, or registered limited liability partnership, with respect to every such prior authorization or registration, (i) the name of the entity; (ii) the entity type; (iii) the state or other jurisdiction of incorporation, organization, or formation; and (iv) the entity identification number issued to it by the Commission;
3. The address of the proposed registered office of the foreign business trust in the Commonwealth (including both (i) the post office address with street and number, if any, and (ii) the name of the county or city in which it is located) and the name of its proposed registered agent in the Commonwealth at such address and that the registered agent is either (a) an individual who is a resident of the Commonwealth and is either (1) a trustee or officer of the business trust, (2) an officer or director of a corporation that is a trustee of the business trust, (3) a general partner of a general or limited partnership that is a trustee of the business trust, (4) a member or manager of a limited liability company that is a trustee of the business trust, (5) a trustee of a business trust or other trust that is a trustee of the business trust, or (6) a member of the Virginia State Bar, or (b) a domestic or foreign stock or nonstock corporation, limited liability company, or registered limited liability partnership authorized to transact business in the Commonwealth, the business office of which is identical with the registered office;
4. A statement that the clerk of the Commission is irrevocably appointed the agent of the foreign business trust for service of process if the foreign business trust fails to maintain a registered agent in the Commonwealth as required by § 13.1-1220, the registered agent's authority has been revoked, the registered agent has resigned, or the registered agent cannot be found or served with the exercise of reasonable diligence;
5. The post office address, including the street and number, if any, of the foreign business trust's principal office; and
6. A statement evidencing that the foreign business trust is a "foreign business trust" as defined in § 13.1-1201.
B. The foreign business trust shall deliver with the completed application a copy of the articles of trust or other constituent documents and all amendments and corrections thereto filed in the foreign business trust's state or other jurisdiction of formation, duly authenticated by the Secretary of State or other official having custody of the business trust records in the state or other jurisdiction under whose laws it is formed.
C. If the Commission finds that the application complies with the requirements of law and that all required fees have been paid, it shall issue a certificate of registration to transact business in the Commonwealth.
(2002, c. 621; 2004, c. 274; 2008, c. 101.)
Questions & Answers: Business Structures
Virginia Laws: Business Structures