Current as of: 2013
The state historical society shall:
(1) Conduct an ongoing statewide survey to identify and document historic properties, including all those owned by the state, its instrumentalities and political subdivisions.
(2) Prepare, update and maintain the Wisconsin inventory of historic places.
(3) Maintain, publish and disseminate the national and state registers of historic places in Wisconsin and lists or descriptions of properties in the national and state registers of historic places in Wisconsin which may be of interest to the general public.
(4) Serve as the state's principal agency for administration of historic preservation activities and programs of the federal government and maintain the state's eligibility to participate in the programs.
(5) Prepare the state preservation plan and annually review it.
(6) Undertake a program of technical assistance to localities and private parties in furtherance of local and private historic preservation programs.
(7) Administer and distribute grants-in-aid using federal funds in furtherance of preservation and restoration of historic properties in accordance with federal law and regulations of the federal government.
(8) Cooperate with federal, state, and local government agencies in the planning and conduct of specific undertakings affecting historic properties and preservation objectives, and in overall land use planning.
(9) Cooperate with local landmarks commissions and historical societies in coordinating their activities with the state plan and programs for historic preservation.
(10) Review and comment upon those actions of any state agency or political subdivision which may have an adverse effect upon historic properties and ameliorate the adverse effects, if any, in the manner specified in ss. 44.39 to 44.42.
(11) Certify historic preservation ordinances.
(12) Prepare and distribute to all cities, villages and counties, no later than January 1, 1992, a model historic preservation ordinance.
Wisconsin Laws: Historic Preservation
U.S. Code Provisions: Historic Preservation
Federal Regulations: Historic Preservation