Current as of: 2013
The town board:
(1) Charge of town affairs. Has charge of all affairs of the town not committed by law to another body or officer or to a town employee.
(2) Charge of actions. Has charge of any action or legal proceeding to which the town is a party.
(3) Village powers. If authorized under s. 60.10 (2) (c), may exercise powers relating to villages and conferred on village boards under ch. 61, except those powers which conflict with statutes relating to towns and town boards.
(4) Jurisdiction of constable. Shall determine the jurisdiction and duties of the town constable. The town board may also require the town constable to complete training under s. 165.85 (4m).
(5) Pursue certain claims of town. Shall demand payment of penalties and forfeitures recoverable by the town and damages incurred by the town due to breach of official bond, injury to property or other injury. If, following demand, payment is not made, the board shall pursue appropriate legal action to recover the penalty, forfeiture or damages.
Questions & Answers: Municipalities