Where the Coast Guard issues numbers, the following classes of vessels are exempt, under Section 12303 of Title 46, United States Code, from the numbering provisions of Sections 12301 and 12302 of Title 46, United States Code, and this part:
Terms Used In 33 CFR 173.13
- Certificate of number: means the certificate required by §173. See 33 CFR 173.3
- Owner: means a person, other than a secured party, having property rights in or title to a vessel, including persons entitled to use or possess a vessel subject to a security interest in another person, but excluding lessees under a lease not intended as security. See 33 CFR 173.3
- Vessel: means every description of watercraft or other artificial contrivance used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water. See 33 CFR 173.3
(a) A vessel that is used exclusively for racing.
(b) A vessel equipped with propulsion machinery of less than 10 horsepower that:
(1) Is owned by the owner of a vessel for which a valid certificate of number has been issued;
(2) Displays the number of that numbered vessel followed by the suffix “1” in the manner prescribed in §173.27; and
(3) Is used as a tender for direct transportation between that vessel and the shore and for no other purpose.