|Subpart A||General Provisions|
|Subpart B||Procedures Governing Decisions About Meetings|
|Subpart C||Conduct of Meetings|
|Subpart D||Maintenance of Meeting Records|
|Subpart E||Administrative Review|
|Subpart F||Judicial Review|
Terms Used In 45 CFR Part 1703
- Advice and consent: Under the Constitution, presidential nominations for executive and judicial posts take effect only when confirmed by the Senate, and international treaties become effective only when the Senate approves them by a two-thirds vote.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Appraisal: A determination of property value.
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Donor: The person who makes a gift.
- Freedom of Information Act: A federal law that mandates that all the records created and kept by federal agencies in the executive branch of government must be open for public inspection and copying. The only exceptions are those records that fall into one of nine exempted categories listed in the statute. Source: OCC
- Indictment: The formal charge issued by a grand jury stating that there is enough evidence that the defendant committed the crime to justify having a trial; it is used primarily for felonies.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- NPR-A: means the area formerly within Naval Petroleum Reserve Numbered 4 Alaska which was redesignated as the National Petroleum Reserve--Alaska by the Naval Petroleum Reserves Production Act of 1976 (42 U. See 43 CFR 3130.0-5
- Participating area: means those committed tracts or portions of those committed tracts within the unit area that are proven to be productive by a well meeting the productivity criteria specified in the unit agreement. See 43 CFR 3137.5
- Presiding officer: A majority-party Senator who presides over the Senate and is charged with maintaining order and decorum, recognizing Members to speak, and interpreting the Senate's rules, practices and precedents.
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Producible interval: means any pool, deposit, zone, or portion thereof capable of producing oil or gas. See 43 CFR 3137.5
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Record title: means legal ownership of an oil and gas lease recorded in BLM's records. See 43 CFR 3137.5
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Tract: means land that may be included in an NPR-A oil and gas unit agreement and that may or may not be in a Federal lease. See 43 CFR 3137.5
- Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Unit agreement: means a BLM-approved agreement to cooperate in exploring, developing, operating and sharing in production of all or part of an oil or gas pool, field or like area, including at least one NPR-A lease, without regard to lease boundaries and ownership. See 43 CFR 3137.5
- Unit area: means all tracts committed to a BLM-approved unit. See 43 CFR 3137.5