Terms Used In CFR > Title 6 > Chapter I > Part 115 > Subpart A
- Alcohol concentration: means either grams of alcohol per 100 milliliters of blood or grams of alcohol per 210 liters of breath. See 23 CFR 1210.3
- Alcohol concentration: means either grams of alcohol per 100 milliliters of blood or grams of alcohol per 210 liters of breath. See 23 CFR 1225.3
- Alcoholic beverage: means beer, distilled spirits and wine containing one-half of one percent or more of alcohol by volume. See 23 CFR 1208.3
- Allegation: something that someone says happened.
- ALR: means either administrative license revocation or administrative license suspension. See 23 CFR 1225.3
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- BAC: means either blood or breath alcohol concentration. See 23 CFR 1210.3
- BAC: means either blood or breath alcohol concentration. See 23 CFR 1225.3
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Electronic toll collection: means the ability for vehicle operators to pay tolls automatically without slowing down from normal highway speeds. See 23 CFR 950.3
- FHWA: means the Federal Highway Administration. See 23 CFR 1270.3
- FHWA: means the Federal Highway Administration. See 23 CFR 1215.3
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Has enacted and is enforcing: means the State's law is in effect and the State has begun to implement the law. See 23 CFR 1225.3
- Interest rate: The amount paid by a borrower to a lender in exchange for the use of the lender's money for a certain period of time. Interest is paid on loans or on debt instruments, such as notes or bonds, either at regular intervals or as part of a lump sum payment when the issue matures. Source: OCC
- International Symbol of Access: means the symbol adopted by Rehabilitation International in 1969 at its Eleventh World Congress on Rehabilitation of the Disabled. See 23 CFR 1235.2
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Legacy: A gift of property made by will.
- Motor vehicle: means a vehicle driven or drawn by mechanical power and manufactured primarily for use on public highways, but does not include a vehicle operated solely on a rail or rails. See 23 CFR 1270.3
- Motor vehicle: means any vehicle driven or drawn by mechanical power manufactured primarily for use on public highways, except any vehicle operated exclusively on a rail or rails. See 23 CFR 1215.3
- NHTSA: means the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. See 23 CFR 1270.3
- NHTSA: means the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. See 23 CFR 1215.3
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Open alcoholic beverage container: means any bottle, can, or other receptacle that:
(1) Contains any amount of alcoholic beverage. See 23 CFR 1270.3
- Open container law: means a State law or combination of laws that meets the minimum requirements specified in §1270. See 23 CFR 1270.3
- Operating a motor vehicle: means driving or being in actual physical control of a motor vehicle. See 23 CFR 1210.3
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Passenger area: means the area designed to seat the driver and passengers while the motor vehicle is in operation and any area that is readily accessible to the driver or a passenger while in their seating positions, including the glove compartment. See 23 CFR 1270.3
- Passenger vehicle: means a motor vehicle which is designed for transporting 10 individuals or less, including the driver, except that such term does not include a vehicle which is constructed on a truck chassis, a motorcycle, a trailer, or any motor vehicle which is not required on the date of the enactment of this section under a Federal motor vehicle safety standard to be equipped with a belt system. See 23 CFR 1215.3
- Persons with disabilities which limit or impair the ability to walk: means persons who, as determined by a licensed physician:
(1) Cannot walk two hundred feet without stopping to rest. See 23 CFR 1235.2
- Presiding officer: A majority-party Senator who presides over the Senate and is charged with maintaining order and decorum, recognizing Members to speak, and interpreting the Senate's rules, practices and precedents.
- Public law: A public bill or joint resolution that has passed both chambers and been enacted into law. Public laws have general applicability nationwide.
- Public possession: means the possession of any alcoholic beverage for any reason, including consumption on any street or highway or in any public place or in any place open to the public (including a club which is de facto open to the public). See 23 CFR 1208.3
- Purchase: means to acquire by the payment of money or other consideration. See 23 CFR 1208.3
- Removable windshield placard: means a two-sided, hanger-style placard which includes on each side:
(1) The International Symbol of Access, which is at least three inches in height, centered on the placard, and is white on a blue shield. See 23 CFR 1235.2
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Transportation. See 23 CFR 1215.3
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- Special license plate: means a license plate that displays the International Symbol of Access:
(1) In a color that contrasts to the background, and
(2) In the same size as the letters and/or numbers on the plate. See 23 CFR 1235.2
- State: means any one of the 50 States, the District of Columbia, or Puerto Rico. See 23 CFR 1225.3
- State: means any of the 50 States, the District of Columbia, or the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. See 23 CFR 1270.3
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Temporary removable windshield placard: means a two-sided, hanger-style placard which includes on each side:
(1) The International Symbol of Access, which is at least three inches in height, centered on the placard, and is white on a red shield. See 23 CFR 1235.2
- Toll agency: means the relevant public or private entity or entities to which toll authority has been granted for a facility under a 1604 toll program. See 23 CFR 950.3
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- Victim advocate: work with prosecutors and assist the victims of a crime.