(a) Except as provided in subsection (b), funds may not be appropriated for the construction, acquisition, leasing, addition, extension, expansion, alteration, relocation, or operation and maintenance of family housing under the jurisdiction of the Department of Defense unless the appropriation of such funds has been authorized by law.
Terms Used In 10 USC 2821
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
(b) In addition to the funds authorized to be appropriated by law in any fiscal year for the purposes described in subsection (a), there are authorized to be appropriated such additional sums as may be necessary for increases in salary, pay, retirement, and other employee benefits authorized by law for civilian employees of the Department of Defense whose compensation is provided for by funds appropriated for the purposes described in such subsection.
(c) Amounts authorized by law for construction of military family housing units include amounts for (1) site preparation (including demolition), (2) installation of utilities, (3) ancillary supporting facilities, (4) shades, screens, ranges, refrigerators, and all other equipment and fixtures installed in such units, and (5) construction supervision, inspection, and overhead.
(d) Amounts authorized by law for construction and acquisition of military family housing and facilities include amounts for–
(1) minor construction;
(2) improvements to existing military family housing units and facilities;
(3) relocation of military family housing units under section 2827 of this title; and
(4) architectural and engineering services and construction design.