(a) In general
To the extent not prohibited by other law, the Comptroller of the Currency, the Director of the Office of Thrift Supervision, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, and the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System shall make available to the Attorney General and the Federal Trade Commission any data in the possession of any such banking agency that the antitrust agency deems necessary for antitrust review of any transaction requiring notice to any such antitrust agency or the approval of such agency under section 1842 or 1843 of this title, section 1828(c) of this title, the National Bank Consolidation and Merger Act [12 U.S.C. 215 et seq.], section 1467a of this title, or the antitrust laws.
(b) Confidentiality requirements
(1) In general
Terms Used In 12 USC 1828b
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- deposit: means --
(1) the unpaid balance of money or its equivalent received or held by a bank or savings association in the usual course of business and for which it has given or is obligated to give credit, either conditionally or unconditionally, to a commercial, checking, savings, time, or thrift account, or which is evidenced by its certificate of deposit, thrift certificate, investment certificate, certificate of indebtedness, or other similar name, or a check or draft drawn against a deposit account and certified by the bank or savings association, or a letter of credit or a traveler's check on which the bank or savings association is primarily liable: Provided, That, without limiting the generality of the term "money or its equivalent" any such account or instrument must be regarded as evidencing the receipt of the equivalent of money when credited or issued in exchange for checks or drafts or for a promissory note upon which the person obtaining any such credit or instrument is primarily or secondarily liable, or for a charge against a deposit account, or in settlement of checks, drafts, or other instruments forwarded to such bank or savings association for collection. See 10 USC 949s
- Federal banking agency: means the Comptroller of the Currency, the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, or the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation. See 10 USC 949s
- Federal Reserve System: The central bank of the United States. The Fed, as it is commonly called, regulates the U.S. monetary and financial system. The Federal Reserve System is composed of a central governmental agency in Washington, D.C. (the Board of Governors) and twelve regional Federal Reserve Banks in major cities throughout the United States. Source: OCC
- National Bank: A bank that is subject to the supervision of the Comptroller of the Currency. The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency is a bureau of the U.S. Treasury Department. A national bank can be recognized because it must have "national" or "national association" in its name. Source: OCC
- State: means any State of the United States, the District of Columbia, any territory of the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, the Virgin Islands, and the Northern Mariana Islands. See 10 USC 949s
Any information or material obtained by any agency pursuant to subsection (a) shall be treated as confidential.
(2) Procedures for disclosure
If any information or material obtained by any agency pursuant to subsection (a) is proposed to be disclosed to a third party, written notice of such disclosure shall first be provided to the agency from which such information or material was obtained and an opportunity shall be given to such agency to oppose or limit the proposed disclosure.
(3) Other privileges not waived by disclosure under this section
The provision by any Federal agency of any information or material pursuant to subsection (a) to another agency shall not constitute a waiver, or otherwise affect, any privilege any agency or person may claim with respect to such information under Federal or State law.
No provision of this section shall be construed as preventing or limiting access to any information by any duly authorized committee of the Congress or the Comptroller General of the United States.
(c) Banking agency information sharing
The provisions of subsection (b) shall apply to–
(1) any information or material obtained by any Federal banking agency (as defined in section 1813(z) of this title) from any other Federal banking agency; and
(2) any report of examination or other confidential supervisory information obtained by any State agency or authority, or any other person, from a Federal banking agency.