(a) In general
The appropriate Federal banking agencies may only require a depository institution to assign a heightened risk weight to a high volatility commercial real estate (HVCRE) exposure (as such term is defined under section 324.2 of title 12, Code of Federal Regulations, as of October 11, 2017, or if a successor regulation is in effect as of May 24, 2018, such term or any successor term contained in such successor regulation) under any risk-based capital requirement if such exposure is an HVCRE ADC loan.
(b) HVCRE ADC loan defined
Terms Used In 12 USC 1831bb
- appropriate Federal banking agency: means --
(1) the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, in the case of--
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- depository institution: means any bank or savings association. See
- Federal banking agency: means the Comptroller of the Currency, the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, or the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation. See
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
For purposes of this section and with respect to a depository institution, the term “HVCRE ADC loan”–
(1) means a credit facility secured by land or improved real property that, prior to being reclassified by the depository institution as a non-HVCRE ADC loan pursuant to subsection (d)–
(A) primarily finances, has financed, or refinances the acquisition, development, or construction of real property;
(B) has the purpose of providing financing to acquire, develop, or improve such real property into income-producing real property; and
(C) is dependent upon future income or sales proceeds from, or refinancing of, such real property for the repayment of such credit facility;
(2) does not include a credit facility financing–
(A) the acquisition, development, or construction of properties that are–
(i) one- to four-family residential properties;
(ii) real property that would qualify as an investment in community development; or
(iii) agricultural land;
(B) the acquisition or refinance of existing income-producing real property secured by a mortgage on such property, if the cash flow being generated by the real property is sufficient to support the debt service and expenses of the real property, in accordance with the institution’s applicable loan underwriting criteria for permanent financings;
(C) improvements to existing income-producing improved real property secured by a mortgage on such property, if the cash flow being generated by the real property is sufficient to support the debt service and expenses of the real property, in accordance with the institution’s applicable loan underwriting criteria for permanent financings; or
(D) commercial real property projects in which–
(i) the loan-to-value ratio is less than or equal to the applicable maximum supervisory loan-to-value ratio as determined by the appropriate Federal banking agency;
(ii) the borrower has contributed capital of at least 15 percent of the real property’s appraised, “as completed” value to the project in the form of–
(II) unencumbered readily marketable assets;
(III) paid development expenses out-of-pocket; or
(IV) contributed real property or improvements; and
(iii) the borrower contributed the minimum amount of capital described under clause (ii) before the depository institution advances funds (other than the advance of a nominal sum made in order to secure the depository institution’s lien against the real property) under the credit facility, and such minimum amount of capital contributed by the borrower is contractually required to remain in the project until the credit facility has been reclassified by the depository institution as a non-HVCRE ADC loan under subsection (d);
(3) does not include any loan made prior to January 1, 2015; and
(4) does not include a credit facility reclassified as a non-HVCRE ADC loan under subsection (d).
(c) Value of contributed real property
For purposes of this section, the value of any real property contributed by a borrower as a capital contribution shall be the appraised value of the property as determined under standards prescribed pursuant to section 3339 of this title, in connection with the extension of the credit facility or loan to such borrower.
(d) Reclassification as a Non-HVRCE ADC loan
For purposes of this section and with respect to a credit facility and a depository institution, upon–
(1) the substantial completion of the development or construction of the real property being financed by the credit facility; and
(2) cash flow being generated by the real property being sufficient to support the debt service and expenses of the real property,
in accordance with the institution’s applicable loan underwriting criteria for permanent financings, the credit facility may be reclassified by the depository institution as a Non-HVCRE ADC loan.
(e) Existing authorities
Nothing in this section shall limit the supervisory, regulatory, or enforcement authority of an appropriate Federal banking agency to further the safe and sound operation of an institution under the supervision of the appropriate Federal banking agency.