(a) Allotment based on number of eligible students in attendance
(1) From the sums appropriated pursuant to section 1070c(b)(1) of this title and not reserved under section 1070c(b)(2) of this title for any fiscal year, the Secretary shall allot to each State an amount which bears the same ratio to such sums as the number of students who are deemed eligible in such State for participation in the grant program authorized by this subpart bears to the total number of such students in all the States, except that no State shall receive less than the State received for fiscal year 1979.
Terms Used In 20 USC 1070c-1
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Commerce. See
(2) For the purpose of this subsection, the number of students who are deemed eligible in a State for participation in the grant program authorized by this subpart, and the number of such students in all the States, shall be determined for the most recent year for which satisfactory data are available.
The amount of any State’s allotment under subsection (a) for any fiscal year which the Secretary determines will not be required for such fiscal year for the leveraging educational assistance partnership program of that State shall be available for reallotment from time to time, on such dates during such year as the Secretary may fix, to other States in proportion to the original allotments to such States under such part for such year, but with such proportionate amount for any of such States being reduced to the extent it exceeds the sum the Secretary estimates such State needs and will be able to use for such year for carrying out the State plan. The total of such reductions shall be similarly reallotted among the States whose proportionate amounts were not so reduced. Any amount reallotted to a State under this part during a year from funds appropriated pursuant to section 1070c(b)(1) of this title shall be deemed part of its allotment under subsection (a) for such year.
(c) Allotments subject to continuing compliance
The Secretary shall make payments for continuing incentive grants only to States which continue to meet the requirements of section 1070c-2(b) of this title.