(a) Review panel
All applications submitted under this subchapter by Hispanic-serving institutions shall be read by a panel of readers composed of individuals who are selected by the Secretary and who include individuals representing Hispanic-serving institutions. The Secretary shall ensure that no individual assigned under this section to review any application has any conflict of interest with regard to the application that might impair the impartiality with which the individual conducts the review under this section.
Terms Used In 20 USC 1103b
All readers selected by the Secretary shall receive thorough instruction from the Secretary regarding the evaluation process for applications submitted under this subchapter that are consistent with the provisions of this subchapter, including–
(1) an enumeration of the factors to be used to determine the quality of applications submitted under this subchapter; and
(2) an enumeration of the factors to be used to determine whether a grant should be awarded for a project under this subchapter, the amount of any such grant, and the duration of any such grant.
(c) Recommendations of panel
In awarding grants under this subchapter, the Secretary shall take into consideration the recommendations of the panel made under subsection (a).
Not later than June 30 of each year, the Secretary shall notify each Hispanic-serving institution making an application under this subchapter of–
(1) the scores given the institution by the panel pursuant to this section;
(2) the recommendations of the panel with respect to such application; and
(3) the reasons for the decision of the Secretary in awarding or refusing to award a grant under this subchapter, and any modifications, if any, in the recommendations of the panel made by the Secretary.