As used in this chapter, unless otherwise provided or indicated by the context–
(1) the term “Department” means the Department of Education or any component thereof;
(2) the term “Secretary” means the Secretary of Education;
(3) the term “Deputy Secretary” means the Deputy Secretary of Education;
(4) the term “function” includes any duty, obligation, power, authority, responsibility, right, privilege, activity, or program;
(5) the term “State” includes the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands;
(6) the terms “private” and “private educational” refer to independent, nonpublic, and private institutions of elementary, secondary, and postsecondary education; and
(7) the term “office” includes any office, institute, council, unit, organizational entity, or component thereof.
Terms Used In 20 USC 3404
- Department: means the Department of Education or any component thereof. See 20 USC 3404
- Deputy Secretary: means the Deputy Secretary of Education. See 20 USC 3404
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- office: includes any office, institute, council, unit, organizational entity, or component thereof. See 20 USC 3404
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Education. See 20 USC 3404