(a) Federal, State, local and foreign government facilities
With their consent, the Secretary may, with or without reimbursement, use the research, equipment, services, and facilities of any agency or instrumentality of the United States, of any State or political subdivision thereof, or of any foreign government, in carrying out any function of the Secretary or the Department.
(b) Public and private permittees
Terms Used In 20 USC 3479
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Department: means the Department of Education or any component thereof. See 20 USC 3404
- function: includes any duty, obligation, power, authority, responsibility, right, privilege, activity, or program. See 20 USC 3404
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Commerce, or the designee of the Secretary of Commerce. See 16 USC 559f
- State: means each of the several States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealths of Puerto Rico and the Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa, the Virgin Islands, Guam, and any other Commonwealth, territory, or possession of the United States. See 16 USC 559f
The Secretary is authorized to permit public and private agencies, corporations, associations, organizations, or individuals to use any real property, or any facilities, structures, or other improvements thereon, under the custody and control of the Secretary for Department purposes. The Secretary shall permit the use of such property, facilities, structures, or improvements under such terms and rates and for such period as may be in the public interest, except that the periods of such uses may not exceed five years. The Secretary may require permittees under this section to recondition and maintain, at their own expense, the real property, facilities, structures, and improvements used by such permittees to a standard satisfactory to the Secretary. This subsection shall not apply to excess property as defined in section 102(3) of title 40.
(c) Appropriation credits and refunds
Proceeds from reimbursements under this section may be credited to the appropriation of funds that bear or will bear all or part of the cost of such equipment or facilities provided or to refund excess sums when necessary.
(d) Interests in real property
Any interest in real property acquired pursuant to this chapter shall be acquired in the name of the United States Government.