(a) In general
There are authorized to be appropriated–
Terms Used In 20 USC 9123
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- library: includes --
(A) a public library. See 20 USC 9122
(1) to carry out parts 1, 2, and 3, $232,000,000 for each of the fiscal years 2020 through 2025; and
(2) to carry out part 4, $24,500,000 for each of the fiscal years 2020 through 2025.
(b) Forward funding
(1) In general
To the end of affording the responsible Federal, State, and local officers adequate notice of available Federal financial assistance for carrying out ongoing library activities and projects, appropriations for grants, contracts, or other payments under any program under this subchapter are authorized to be included in the appropriations Act for the fiscal year preceding the fiscal year during which such activities and projects shall be carried out.
(2) Additional authorization of appropriations
In order to effect a transition to the timing of appropriation action authorized by subsection (a), the application of this section may result in the enactment, in a fiscal year, of separate appropriations for a program under this subchapter (whether in the same appropriations Act or otherwise) for two consecutive fiscal years.