(a) In general
From the amounts reserved under section 9131(a)(1)(B) of this title for any fiscal year the Director shall establish and carry out a program to enhance the quality of library services nationwide and to provide coordination between libraries and museums, including by carrying out activities such as–
(1) building workforce and institutional capacity for managing the national information infrastructure and serving the information and education needs of the public;
(2)(A) research and demonstration projects related to the improvement of libraries or the enhancement of library and information services through effective and efficient use of new and emerging technologies, including projects that enable library users to acquire digital literacy skills and that make information resources more accessible and available; and
(B) dissemination of information derived from such projects;
(3) conserving, preserving, and digitizing library materials and resources, giving priority to projects emphasizing coordination, optimizing conditions for storage and future use, offering staff training, avoiding duplication, and providing access by researchers beyond the institution or library entity undertaking the project;
(4) enhancing the ability of libraries to provide services to affected communities in the event of an emergency or disaster through–
(A) the development of national, regional, statewide, or local emergency and disaster management plans that–
(i) address communication and coordination of information and services for affected communities; and
(ii) ensure the preservation of knowledge and library collections; and
(B) the implementation of the emergency and disaster management plans described in subparagraph (A), or otherwise enabling libraries to provide services consistent with this chapter to affected communities in the event of an emergency or disaster; and
(5) model programs demonstrating cooperative efforts between libraries and museums.
(b) Grants, contracts, or cooperative agreements
(1) In general
The Director may carry out the activities described in subsection (a) by entering into arrangements, including grants, contracts, cooperative agreements, and other forms of assistance, with libraries, library consortia and associations, institutions of higher education, museums, and other entities that the Director determines appropriate.
(2) Competitive basis
Grants, contracts, cooperative agreements, and other arrangements or forms of assistance under this section shall be awarded on a competitive basis.
(c) Special rule
Terms Used In 20 USC 9162
- digital literacy skills: means the skills associated with--
(A) using technology to enable users to find, evaluate, organize, create, and communicate information. See 20 USC 9101
- Director: means the Director of the Institute appointed under section 9103 of this title. See 20 USC 9101
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- library: includes --
(A) a public library. See 20 USC 9122
The Director shall make every effort to ensure that activities assisted under this section–
(1) are administered by appropriate library and museum professionals or experts;
(2) reflect and serve a range of library types and geographically diverse areas;
(3) include evaluation, analysis, and dissemination components; and
(4) to the extent practicable, actively involve, have direct impact on, or provide future application in, libraries.