As used in this subchapter:
(1) Public entity
Terms Used In 42 USC 12131
- auxiliary aids and services: includes --
(A) qualified interpreters or other effective methods of making aurally delivered materials available to individuals with hearing impairments. See 42 USC 12103
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- disability: means , with respect to an individual--
(A) a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities of such individual. See 42 USC 12102
- individual: shall include every infant member of the species homo sapiens who is born alive at any stage of development. See 1 USC 8
- public entity: means --
(A) any State or local government. See 42 USC 12131
- State: means each of the several States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the Virgin Islands of the United States, the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. See 42 USC 12103
The term “public entity” means–
(A) any State or local government;
(B) any department, agency, special purpose district, or other instrumentality of a State or States or local government; and
(C) the National Railroad Passenger Corporation, and any commuter authority (as defined in section 24102(4) 1 of title 49).
(2) Qualified individual with a disability
The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable modifications to rules, policies, or practices, the removal of architectural, communication, or transportation barriers, or the provision of auxiliary aids and services, meets the essential eligibility requirements for the receipt of services or the participation in programs or activities provided by a public entity.