(a) Establishment; appointment of Director
There is hereby established in the Commission an Office of Nuclear Reactor Regulation under the direction of a Director of Nuclear Reactor Regulation, who shall be appointed by the Commission, who may report directly to the Commission, as provided in section 5849 of this title, and who shall serve at the pleasure of and be removable by the Commission.
(b) Functions of Director
Terms Used In 42 USC 5843
- functions: shall be deemed to include references to duty, obligation, power, authority, responsibility, right, privilege, and activity, or the plural thereof, as the case may be. See 42 USC 5874
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
Subject to the provisions of this chapter, the Director of Nuclear Reactor Regulation shall perform such functions as the Commission shall delegate including:
(1) Principal licensing and regulation involving all facilities, and materials licensed under the Atomic Energy Act of 1954, as amended [42 U.S.C. 2011 et seq.], associated with the construction and operation of nuclear reactors licensed under the Atomic Energy Act of 1954, as amended;
(2) Review the safety and safeguards of all such facilities, materials, and activities, and such review functions shall include, but not be limited to–
(A) monitoring, testing and recommending upgrading of systems designed to prevent substantial health or safety hazards; and
(B) evaluating methods of transporting special nuclear and other nuclear materials and of transporting and storing high-level radioactive wastes to prevent radiation hazards to employees and the general public.
(3) Recommend research necessary for the discharge of the functions of the Commission.
(c) Responsibility for safe operation of facilities
Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit in any way the functions of the Administration relating to the safe operation of all facilities resulting from all activities within the jurisdiction of the Administration pursuant to this chapter.