(a) Establishment; appointment of Director
There is hereby established in the Commission an Office of Nuclear Regulatory Research under the direction of a Director of Nuclear Regulatory Research, who shall be appointed by the Commission, who may report directly to the Commission as provided in section 5849 of this title, and who shall serve at the pleasure of and be removable by the Commission.
(b) Functions of Director
Terms Used In 42 USC 5845
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- functions: shall be deemed to include references to duty, obligation, power, authority, responsibility, right, privilege, and activity, or the plural thereof, as the case may be. See 42 USC 5874
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- performance: when used in relation to functions, shall be deemed to include the exercise of power, authority, rights, and privileges. See 42 USC 5874
Subject to the provisions of this chapter, the Director of Nuclear Regulatory Research shall perform such functions as the Commission shall delegate including:
(1) Developing recommendations for research deemed necessary for performance by the Commission of its licensing and related regulatory functions.
(2) Engaging in or contracting for research which the Commission deems necessary for the performance of its licensing and related regulatory functions.
(c) Cooperation of Federal agencies
The Administrator of the Administration and the head of every other Federal agency shall–
(1) cooperate with respect to the establishment of priorities for the furnishing of such research services as requested by the Commission for the conduct of its functions;
(2) furnish to the Commission, on a reimbursable basis, through their own facilities or by contract or other arrangement, such research services as the Commission deems necessary and requests for the performance of its functions; and
(3) consult and cooperate with the Commission on research and development matters of mutual interest and provide such information and physical access to its facilities as will assist the Commission in acquiring the expertise necessary to perform its licensing and related regulatory functions.
(d) Responsibility for safety of activities
Nothing in subsections (a) and (b) of this section or section 5841 of this title shall be construed to limit in any way the functions of the Administration relating to the safety of activities within the jurisdiction of the Administration.
(e) Information and research services
Each Federal agency, subject to the provisions of existing law, shall cooperate with the Commission and provide such information and research services, on a reimbursable basis, as it may have or be reasonably able to acquire.
(f) Improved safety systems research
The Commission shall develop a long-term plan for projects for the development of new or improved safety systems for nuclear powerplants.