|§ 842||Unlawful acts|
|§ 843||Licenses and user permits|
|§ 845||Exceptions; relief from disabilities|
|§ 846||Additional powers of the Attorney General|
|§ 847||Rules and regulations|
|§ 848||Effect on State law|
Terms Used In U.S. Code > Title 18 > Part I > Chapter 40
- agency: includes any department, independent establishment, commission, administration, authority, board or bureau of the United States or any corporation in which the United States has a proprietary interest, unless the context shows that such term was intended to be used in a more limited sense. See
- Alien: means any person who is not a citizen or national of the United States. See
- association: when used in reference to a corporation, shall be deemed to embrace the words "successors and assigns of such company or association" in like manner as if these last-named words, or words of similar import, were expressed. See
- Attorney General: means the Attorney General of the United States. See
- Convention on the Marking of Plastic Explosives: means the Convention on the Marking of Plastic Explosives for the Purpose of Detection, Done at Montreal on 1 March 1991. See
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Dealer: means any person engaged in the business of distributing explosive materials at wholesale or retail. See
- department: means one of the executive departments enumerated in section 1 of Title 5, unless the context shows that such term was intended to describe the executive, legislative, or judicial branches of the government. See
- Detection agent: means any one of the substances specified in this subsection when introduced into a plastic explosive or formulated in such explosive as a part of the manufacturing process in such a manner as to achieve homogeneous distribution in the finished explosive, including--
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Distribute: means sell, issue, give, transfer, or otherwise dispose of. See
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Explosive materials: means explosives, blasting agents, and detonators. See
- explosives: means any chemical compound mixture, or device, the primary or common purpose of which is to function by explosion. See
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- foreign commerce: as used in this title , includes commerce with a foreign country. See
- foreign government: as used in this title except in sections 112, 878, 970, 1116, and 1201, includes any government, faction, or body of insurgents within a country with which the United States is at peace, irrespective of recognition by the United States. See
- Importer: means any person engaged in the business of importing or bringing explosive materials into the United States for purposes of sale or distribution. See
- Indian tribe: has the meaning given the term in section 102 of the Federally Recognized Indian Tribe List Act of 1994 (25 U. See
- Indictment: The formal charge issued by a grand jury stating that there is enough evidence that the defendant committed the crime to justify having a trial; it is used primarily for felonies.
- individual: shall include every infant member of the species homo sapiens who is born alive at any stage of development. See
- Licensee: means any importer, manufacturer, or dealer licensed under the provisions of this chapter. See
- Manufacturer: means any person engaged in the business of manufacturing explosive materials for purposes of sale or distribution or for his own use. See
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- officer: includes any person authorized by law to perform the duties of the office. See
- organization: means a person other than an individual. See
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Permittee: means any user of explosives for a lawful purpose, who has obtained either a user permit or a limited permit under the provisions of this chapter. See
- Person: means any individual, corporation, company, association, firm, partnership, society, or joint stock company. See
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Plastic explosive: means an explosive material in flexible or elastic sheet form formulated with one or more high explosives which in their pure form has a vapor pressure less than 10?4 Pa at a temperature of 25°C. See
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Responsible person: means an individual who has the power to direct the management and policies of the applicant pertaining to explosive materials. See
- State: includes the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the possessions of the United States (not including the Canal Zone). See
- United States: as used in this title in a territorial sense, includes all places and waters, continental or insular, subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, except the Canal Zone. See
- vehicle: includes every description of carriage or other artificial contrivance used, or capable of being used, as a means of transportation on land. See
- whoever: include corporations, companies, associations, firms, partnerships, societies, and joint stock companies, as well as individuals. See
- writing: includes printing and typewriting and reproductions of visual symbols by photographing, multigraphing, mimeographing, manifolding, or otherwise. See