Terms Used In U.S. Code > Title 20 > Chapter 42 - Harry S Truman Memorial Scholarships
- administer: refers to the direct application of a controlled substance to the body of a patient or research subject by--
(A) a practitioner (or, in his presence, by his authorized agent), or
(B) the patient or research subject at the direction and in the presence of the practitioner,
whether such application be by injection, inhalation, ingestion, or any other means. See 21 USC 802
- Advice and consent: Under the Constitution, presidential nominations for executive and judicial posts take effect only when confirmed by the Senate, and international treaties become effective only when the Senate approves them by a two-thirds vote.
- agent: means an authorized person who acts on behalf of or at the direction of a manufacturer, distributor, or dispenser. See 21 USC 802
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- anabolic steroid: means any drug or hormonal substance, chemically and pharmacologically related to testosterone (other than estrogens, progestins, corticosteroids, and dehydroepiandrosterone), and includes--
(I) 3?,17?-dihydroxy-5?-androstane. See 21 USC 802
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- association: when used in reference to a corporation, shall be deemed to embrace the words "successors and assigns of such company or association" in like manner as if these last-named words, or words of similar import, were expressed. See 1 USC 5
- Board: means the Board of Trustees of the Harry S Truman Scholarship Foundation. See 20 USC 2002
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- control: means to add a drug or other substance, or immediate precursor, to a schedule under part B of this subchapter, whether by transfer from another schedule or otherwise. See 21 USC 802
- controlled substance: means a drug or other substance, or immediate precursor, included in schedule I, II, III, IV, or V of part B of this subchapter. See 21 USC 802
- controlled substance analogue: means a substance--
(i) the chemical structure of which is substantially similar to the chemical structure of a controlled substance in schedule I or II. See 21 USC 802
- Convention on Psychotropic Substances: means the Convention on Psychotropic Substances signed at Vienna, Austria, on February 21, 1971. See 21 USC 802
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- counterfeit substance: means a controlled substance which, or the container or labeling of which, without authorization, bears the trademark, trade name, or other identifying mark, imprint, number, or device, or any likeness thereof, of a manufacturer, distributor, or dispenser other than the person or persons who in fact manufactured, distributed, or dispensed such substance and which thereby falsely purports or is represented to be the product of, or to have been distributed by, such other manufacturer, distributor, or dispenser. See 21 USC 802
- county: includes a parish, or any other equivalent subdivision of a State or Territory of the United States. See 1 USC 2
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- detoxification treatment: means the dispensing, for a period not in excess of one hundred and eighty days, of a narcotic drug in decreasing doses to an individual in order to alleviate adverse physiological or psychological effects incident to withdrawal from the continuous or sustained use of a narcotic drug and as a method of bringing the individual to a narcotic drug-free state within such period. See 21 USC 802
- dispense: means to deliver a controlled substance to an ultimate user or research subject by, or pursuant to the lawful order of, a practitioner, including the prescribing and administering of a controlled substance and the packaging, labeling or compounding necessary to prepare the substance for such delivery. See 21 USC 802
- distribute: means to deliver (other than by administering or dispensing) a controlled substance or a listed chemical. See 21 USC 802
- distributor: means a person who so delivers a controlled substance or a listed chemical. See 21 USC 802
- drug: has the meaning given that term by section 321(g)(1) of this title. See 21 USC 802
- Drug Enforcement Administration: means the Drug Enforcement Administration in the Department of Justice. See 21 USC 802
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Ex officio: Literally, by virtue of one's office.
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- felony: means any Federal or State offense classified by applicable Federal or State law as a felony. See 21 USC 802
- felony drug offense: means an offense that is punishable by imprisonment for more than one year under any law of the United States or of a State or foreign country that prohibits or restricts conduct relating to narcotic drugs, marihuana, anabolic steroids, or depressant or stimulant substances. See 21 USC 802
- Foundation: means the Harry S Truman Scholarship Foundation. See 20 USC 2002
- fund: means the Harry S Truman Memorial Scholarship Fund. See 20 USC 2002
- homepage: means the opening or main page or screen of the website of an online pharmacy that is viewable on the Internet. See 21 USC 802
- Indictment: The formal charge issued by a grand jury stating that there is enough evidence that the defendant committed the crime to justify having a trial; it is used primarily for felonies.
- individual: shall include every infant member of the species homo sapiens who is born alive at any stage of development. See 1 USC 8
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- institution of higher education: means any such institution as defined by section 1001 of this title. See 20 USC 2002
- Internet: means collectively the myriad of computer and telecommunications facilities, including equipment and operating software, which comprise the interconnected worldwide network of networks that employ the Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol, or any predecessor or successor protocol to such protocol, to communicate information of all kinds by wire or radio. See 21 USC 802
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- list I chemical: means a chemical specified by regulation of the Attorney General as a chemical that is used in manufacturing a controlled substance in violation of this subchapter and is important to the manufacture of the controlled substances, and such term includes (until otherwise specified by regulation of the Attorney General, as considered appropriate by the Attorney General or upon petition to the Attorney General by any person) the following:
(A) Anthranilic acid, its esters, and its salts. See 21 USC 802
- listed chemical: means any list I chemical or any list II chemical. See 21 USC 802
- maintenance treatment: means the dispensing, for a period in excess of twenty-one days, of a narcotic drug in the treatment of an individual for dependence upon heroin or other morphine-like drugs. See 21 USC 802
- manufacture: means the production, preparation, propagation, compounding, or processing of a drug or other substance, either directly or indirectly or by extraction from substances of natural origin, or independently by means of chemical synthesis or by a combination of extraction and chemical synthesis, and includes any packaging or repackaging of such substance or labeling or relabeling of its container. See 21 USC 802
- manufacturer: means a person who manufactures a drug or other substance. See 21 USC 802
- marihuana: means all parts of the plant Cannabis sativa L. See 21 USC 802
- mobile retail vendor: means a person or entity that makes sales at retail from a stand that is intended to be temporary, or is capable of being moved from one location to another, whether the stand is located within or on the premises of a fixed facility (such as a kiosk at a shopping center or an airport) or whether the stand is located on unimproved real estate (such as a lot or field leased for retail purposes). See 21 USC 802
- narcotic drug: means any of the following whether produced directly or indirectly by extraction from substances of vegetable origin, or independently by means of chemical synthesis, or by a combination of extraction and chemical synthesis:
(A) Opium, opiates, derivatives of opium and opiates, including their isomers, esters, ethers, salts, and salts of isomers, esters, and ethers, whenever the existence of such isomers, esters, ethers, and salts is possible within the specific chemical designation. See 21 USC 802
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- officer: includes any person authorized by law to perform the duties of the office. See 1 USC 1
- opioid: means any drug or other substance having an addiction-forming or addiction-sustaining liability similar to morphine or being capable of conversion into a drug having such addiction-forming or addiction-sustaining liability. See 21 USC 802
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- practice of telemedicine: means , for purposes of this subchapter, the practice of medicine in accordance with applicable Federal and State laws by a practitioner (other than a pharmacist) who is at a location remote from the patient and is communicating with the patient, or health care professional who is treating the patient, using a telecommunications system referred to in section 1395m(m) of title 42, which practice--
(A) is being conducted--
(i) while the patient is being treated by, and physically located in, a hospital or clinic registered under section 823(f) of this title. See 21 USC 802
- practitioner: means a physician, dentist, veterinarian, scientific investigator, pharmacy, hospital, or other person licensed, registered, or otherwise permitted, by the United States or the jurisdiction in which he practices or does research, to distribute, dispense, conduct research with respect to, administer, or use in teaching or chemical analysis, a controlled substance in the course of professional practice or research. See 21 USC 802
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- production: includes the manufacture, planting, cultivation, growing, or harvesting of a controlled substance. See 21 USC 802
- Public debt: Cumulative amounts borrowed by the Treasury Department or the Federal Financing Bank from the public or from another fund or account. The public debt does not include agency debt (amounts borrowed by other agencies of the Federal Government). The total public debt is subject to a statutory limit.
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- regulated person: means a person who manufactures, distributes, imports, or exports a listed chemical, a tableting machine, or an encapsulating machine or who acts as a broker or trader for an international transaction involving a listed chemical, a tableting machine, or an encapsulating machine. See 21 USC 802
- regulated seller: means a retail distributor (including a pharmacy or a mobile retail vendor), except that such term does not include an employee or agent of such distributor. See 21 USC 802
- regulated transaction: means --
(A) a distribution, receipt, sale, importation, or exportation of, or an international transaction involving shipment of, a listed chemical, or if the Attorney General establishes a threshold amount for a specific listed chemical, a threshold amount, including a cumulative threshold amount for multiple transactions (as determined by the Attorney General, in consultation with the chemical industry and taking into consideration the quantities normally used for lawful purposes), of a listed chemical, except that such term does not include--
(i) a domestic lawful distribution in the usual course of business between agents or employees of a single regulated person. See 21 USC 802
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- scheduled listed chemical product: means , subject to subparagraph (B), a product that--
(i) contains ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, or phenylpropanolamine. See 21 USC 802
- Secretary: means the Secretary of the Treasury. See 20 USC 2002
- serious bodily injury: means bodily injury which involves--
(A) a substantial risk of death. See 21 USC 802
- serious drug felony: means an offense described in section 924(e)(2) of title 18 for which--
(A) the offender served a term of imprisonment of more than 12 months. See 21 USC 802
- serious violent felony: means --
- Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs: means the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs signed at New York, New York, on March 30, 1961. See 21 USC 802
- State: means a State of the United States, the District of Columbia, and any commonwealth, territory, or possession of the United States. See 21 USC 802
- State: means each of the several States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and, considered as a single entity, Guam, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, and the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands. See 20 USC 2002
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- ultimate user: means a person who has lawfully obtained, and who possesses, a controlled substance for his own use or for the use of a member of his household or for an animal owned by him or by a member of his household. See 21 USC 802
- United States: when used in a geographic sense, means all places and waters, continental or insular, subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. See 21 USC 802
- vehicle: includes every description of carriage or other artificial contrivance used, or capable of being used, as a means of transportation on land. See 1 USC 4
- whoever: include corporations, companies, associations, firms, partnerships, societies, and joint stock companies, as well as individuals. See 1 USC 1
- writing: includes printing and typewriting and reproductions of visual symbols by photographing, multigraphing, mimeographing, manifolding, or otherwise. See 1 USC 1