Terms Used In Indiana Code > Title 21 > Article 12
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- award: means any monetary grant made by the commission from:
Indiana Code 21-12-1.5-2
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- department: refers to the Indiana department of administration established by IC 4-13-1-2. See Indiana Code 4-13-17-1
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- education loan: has the meaning set forth in IC 21-16-1-5. See Indiana Code 21-12-15-2
- eligible student: refers to an individual described in section 1 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 21-12-1.5-3
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- in writing: include printing, lithographing, or other mode of representing words and letters. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Internet purchasing site: means an open and interactive electronic environment that is:
Indiana Code 4-13-17-2
- Judgment: means all final orders, decrees, and determinations in an action and all orders upon which executions may issue. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- President pro tempore: A constitutionally recognized officer of the Senate who presides over the chamber in the absence of the Vice President. The President Pro Tempore (or, "president for a time") is elected by the Senate and is, by custom, the Senator of the majority party with the longest record of continuous service.
- program: means the next generation Hoosier educators scholarship program established by section 2 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 21-12-16-1
- Property: includes personal and real property. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- publicly supported school: means the following:
Indiana Code 21-12-10-1
- purchasing agency: has the meaning set forth in IC 5-22-2-25. See Indiana Code 4-13-17-3
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the commonwealths, possessions, states in free association with the United States, and the territories. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- User fees: Fees charged to users of goods or services provided by the government. In levying or authorizing these fees, the legislature determines whether the revenue should go into the treasury or should be available to the agency providing the goods or services.
- veteran: includes "Hoosier veteran" and applies to the construction of all Indiana statutes, unless the construction is expressly excluded by the terms of the statute, is plainly repugnant to the intent of the general assembly or of the context of the statute, or is inconsistent with federal law. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5