Terms Used In U.S. Code > Title 21 > Chapter 24
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Annuity: A periodic (usually annual) payment of a fixed sum of money for either the life of the recipient or for a fixed number of years. A series of payments under a contract from an insurance company, a trust company, or an individual. Annuity payments are made at regular intervals over a period of more than one full year.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- association: when used in reference to a corporation, shall be deemed to embrace the words "successors and assigns of such company or association" in like manner as if these last-named words, or words of similar import, were expressed. See 19 USC 2295
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- corporation: includes associations, joint-stock companies, and insurance companies. See 38 USC 1912
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- county: includes a parish, or any other equivalent subdivision of a State or Territory of the United States. See 19 USC 2292
- domestic: when applied to a corporation or partnership means created or organized in the United States or under the law of the United States or of any State unless, in the case of a partnership, the Secretary provides otherwise by regulations. See 38 USC 1912
- Entitlement: A Federal program or provision of law that requires payments to any person or unit of government that meets the eligibility criteria established by law. Entitlements constitute a binding obligation on the part of the Federal Government, and eligible recipients have legal recourse if the obligation is not fulfilled. Social Security and veterans' compensation and pensions are examples of entitlement programs.
- entity: means a partnership, joint venture, association, corporation, organization, network, group, or subgroup, or any form of business collaboration. See 26 USC 1461
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Executor: A male person named in a will to carry out the decedent
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- foreign: when applied to a corporation or partnership means a corporation or partnership which is not domestic. See 38 USC 1912
- foreign estate: means an estate the income of which, from sources without the United States which is not effectively connected with the conduct of a trade or business within the United States, is not includible in gross income under subtitle A. See 38 USC 1912
- foreign person: means any citizen or national of a foreign state or any entity not organized under the laws of the United States, but does not include a foreign state. See 26 USC 1461
- foreign trust: means any trust other than a trust described in subparagraph (E) of paragraph (30). See 38 USC 1912
- forest plan: means the land and resource management plan for the Six Rivers National Forest prepared pursuant to section 1604 of this title. See
- Freedom of Information Act: A federal law that mandates that all the records created and kept by federal agencies in the executive branch of government must be open for public inspection and copying. The only exceptions are those records that fall into one of nine exempted categories listed in the statute. Source: OCC
- including: when used in a definition contained in this title shall not be deemed to exclude other things otherwise within the meaning of the term defined. See 38 USC 1912
- individual: shall include every infant member of the species homo sapiens who is born alive at any stage of development. See 19 USC 2297
- inner gorge: means the inherently unstable steep slope (65 percent gradient or more) immediately adjacent to the stream or river channel, extending from the channel or recent floodplain to the first significant break in slope (usually 15 percent or more). See
- international organization: means a public international organization entitled to enjoy privileges, exemptions, and immunities as an international organization under the International Organizations Immunities Act (22 U. See 38 USC 1912
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- narcotics trafficking: means any illicit activity to cultivate, produce, manufacture, distribute, sell, finance, or transport narcotic drugs, controlled substances, or listed chemicals, or otherwise endeavor or attempt to do so, or to assist, abet, conspire, or collude with others to do so. See 26 USC 1461
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- officer: includes any person authorized by law to perform the duties of the office. See 19 USC 2291
- partner: includes a member in such a syndicate, group, pool, joint venture, or organization. See 38 USC 1912
- partnership: includes a syndicate, group, pool, joint venture, or other unincorporated organization, through or by means of which any business, financial operation, or venture is carried on, and which is not, within the meaning of this title, a trust or estate or a corporation. See 38 USC 1912
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- person: means an individual or entity. See 26 USC 1461
- person: shall be construed to mean and include an individual, a trust, estate, partnership, association, company or corporation. See 38 USC 1912
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Ranking minority member: The highest ranking (and usually longest serving) minority member of a committee or subcommittee.
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- recreation area: means the Smith River National Recreation Area established by section 460bbb-2 of this title. See
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Agriculture. See
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- shareholder: includes a member in an association, joint-stock company, or insurance company. See 38 USC 1912
- significant foreign narcotics trafficker: means any foreign person that plays a significant role in international narcotics trafficking, that the President has determined to be appropriate for sanctions pursuant to this chapter, and that the President has publicly identified in the report required under subsection (b) or (h)(1) of section 1903 of this title. See 26 USC 1461
- State: shall be construed to include the District of Columbia, where such construction is necessary to carry out provisions of this title. See 38 USC 1912
- stock: includes shares in an association, joint-stock company, or insurance company. See 38 USC 1912
- taxable year: means the calendar year, or the fiscal year ending during such calendar year, upon the basis of which the taxable income is computed under subtitle A. See 38 USC 1912
- taxpayer: means any person subject to any internal revenue tax. See 38 USC 1912
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- trade or business: includes the performance of the functions of a public office. See 38 USC 1912
- transaction: includes a series of transactions. See 38 USC 1912
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- United States: when used in a geographical sense includes only the States and the District of Columbia. See 38 USC 1912
- United States person: means any United States citizen or national, permanent resident alien, an entity organized under the laws of the United States (including its foreign branches), or any person within the United States. See 26 USC 1461
- United States person: means --
(A) a citizen or resident of the United States,
(B) a domestic partnership,
(C) a domestic corporation,
(D) any estate (other than a foreign estate, within the meaning of paragraph (31)), and
(E) any trust if--
(i) a court within the United States is able to exercise primary supervision over the administration of the trust, and
(ii) one or more United States persons have the authority to control all substantial decisions of the trust. See 38 USC 1912
- whoever: include corporations, companies, associations, firms, partnerships, societies, and joint stock companies, as well as individuals. See 19 USC 2291
- withholding agent: means any person required to deduct and withhold any tax under the provisions of section 1441, 1442, 1443, or 1461. See 38 USC 1912
- writing: includes printing and typewriting and reproductions of visual symbols by photographing, multigraphing, mimeographing, manifolding, or otherwise. See 19 USC 2291