Terms Used In U.S. Code > Title 21 > Chapter 24 - International Narcotics Trafficking
- Administrator: means the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency. See 15 USC 2602
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- affiliate: means any person who (other than by means of a franchise) controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with, any other person. See 15 USC 2801
- Allegation: something that someone says happened.
- automotive fuel: means liquid fuel of a type distributed for use as a fuel in any motor vehicle. See 15 USC 2821
- automotive fuel rating: means --
(A) the octane rating of an automotive spark-ignition engine fuel. See 15 USC 2821
- automotive fuel requirement: means , with respect to automotive fuel for use in a motor vehicle or a class thereof, imported, manufactured, or assembled by a manufacturer, the minimum automotive fuel rating of such automotive fuel which such manufacturer recommends for the efficient operation of such motor vehicle, or a substantial portion of such class, without knocking. See 15 USC 2821
- automotive fuel retailer: means any person who markets automotive fuel to the general public for ultimate consumption. See 15 USC 2821
- cetane rating: means a measure, as indicated by a cetane index or cetane number, of the ignition quality of diesel fuel oil and of the influence of the diesel fuel oil on combustion roughness. See 15 USC 2821
- Chambers: A judge's office.
- commerce: means any trade, traffic, transportation, exchange, or other commerce--
(A) between any State and any place outside of such State. See 15 USC 2801
- commerce: means any trade, traffic, transportation, exchange, or other commerce--
(A) between any State and any place outside of such State. See 15 USC 2821
- Commission: means the Great Lakes Fishery Commission provided for by article II of the convention. See 16 USC 931
- contract: means any oral or written agreement. See 15 USC 2801
- Convention: means the Convention on Great Lakes Fisheries between the United States of America and Canada signed at Washington, September 10, 1954. See 16 USC 931
- distributor: means any person, including any affiliate of such person, who--
(A) purchases motor fuel for sale, consignment, or distribution to another. See 15 USC 2801
- distributor: means any person who receives automotive fuel and distributes such automotive fuel to another person other than the ultimate purchaser. See 15 USC 2821
- entity: means a partnership, joint venture, association, corporation, organization, network, group, or subgroup, or any form of business collaboration. See 21 USC 1907
- environment: includes water, air, and land and the interrelationship which exists among and between water, air, and land and all living things. See 15 USC 2602
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- foreign person: means any citizen or national of a foreign state or any entity not organized under the laws of the United States, but does not include a foreign state. See 21 USC 1907
- franchise: includes --
(i) any contract under which a retailer or distributor (as the case may be) is authorized or permitted to occupy leased marketing premises, which premises are to be employed in connection with the sale, consignment, or distribution of motor fuel under a trademark which is owned or controlled by such refiner or by a refiner which supplies motor fuel to the distributor which authorizes or permits such occupancy. See 15 USC 2801
- franchise relationship: means the respective motor fuel marketing or distribution obligations and responsibilities of a franchisor and a franchisee which result from the marketing of motor fuel under a franchise. See 15 USC 2801
- franchisee: means a retailer or distributor (as the case may be) who is authorized or permitted, under a franchise, to use a trademark in connection with the sale, consignment, or distribution of motor fuel. See 15 USC 2801
- franchisor: means a refiner or distributor (as the case may be) who authorizes or permits, under a franchise, a retailer or distributor to use a trademark in connection with the sale, consignment, or distribution of motor fuel. See 15 USC 2801
- Great Lakes: means any of the following bodies of water: Lake Ontario (including the Saint Lawrence River from Lake Ontario to the forty-fifth parallel of latitude), Lake Erie, Lake Huron (including Lake Saint Clair), Lake Michigan, or Lake Superior. See 16 USC 931
- Great Lakes State: means any of the following States: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, or Wisconsin. See 16 USC 931
- Interest rate: The amount paid by a borrower to a lender in exchange for the use of the lender's money for a certain period of time. Interest is paid on loans or on debt instruments, such as notes or bonds, either at regular intervals or as part of a lump sum payment when the issue matures. Source: OCC
- leased marketing premises: means marketing premises owned, leased, or in any way controlled by a franchisor and which the franchisee is authorized or permitted, under the franchise, to employ in connection with the sale, consignment, or distribution of motor fuel. See 15 USC 2801
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- manufacture: means to import into the customs territory of the United States (as defined in general note 2 of the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States), produce, or manufacture. See 15 USC 2602
- manufacturer: means any person who imports, manufactures, or assembles motor vehicles for sale. See 15 USC 2821
- marketing premises: means , in the case of any franchise, premises which, under such franchise, are to be employed by the franchisee in connection with sale, consignment, or distribution of motor fuel. See 15 USC 2801
- Mortgage loan: A loan made by a lender to a borrower for the financing of real property. Source: OCC
- motor fuel: means gasoline and diesel fuel of a type distributed for use as a fuel in self-propelled vehicles designed primarily for use on public streets, roads, and highways. See 15 USC 2801
- motor vehicle: means any self-propelled four-wheeled vehicle, of less than 6,000 pounds gross vehicle weight, which is designed primarily for use on public streets, roads, and highways. See 15 USC 2821
- narcotics trafficking: means any illicit activity to cultivate, produce, manufacture, distribute, sell, finance, or transport narcotic drugs, controlled substances, or listed chemicals, or otherwise endeavor or attempt to do so, or to assist, abet, conspire, or collude with others to do so. See 21 USC 1907
- National Bank: A bank that is subject to the supervision of the Comptroller of the Currency. The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency is a bureau of the U.S. Treasury Department. A national bank can be recognized because it must have "national" or "national association" in its name. Source: OCC
- oath: includes affirmation, and "sworn" includes affirmed. See 1 USC 1
- Oath: A promise to tell the truth.
- octane rating: means the rating of the antiknock characteristics of a grade or type of automotive fuel as determined by dividing by 2 the sum of the research octane number plus the motor octane number, unless another procedure is prescribed under section 2823(c)(3) of this title, in which case such term means the rating of such characteristics as determined under the procedure so prescribed. See 15 USC 2821
- Outlays: Outlays are payments made (generally through the issuance of checks or disbursement of cash) to liquidate obligations. Outlays during a fiscal year may be for payment of obligations incurred in prior years or in the same year.
- person: means an individual or entity. See 21 USC 1907
- process: means the preparation of a chemical substance or mixture, after its manufacture, for distribution in commerce--
(A) in the same form or physical state as, or in a different form or physical state from, that in which it was received by the person so preparing such substance or mixture, or
(B) as part of an article containing the chemical substance or mixture. See 15 USC 2602
- Ranking minority member: The highest ranking (and usually longest serving) minority member of a committee or subcommittee.
- refiner: means any person engaged in the refining of crude oil to produce motor fuel, and includes any affiliate of such person. See 15 USC 2801
- refiner: means any person engaged in the production or importation of automotive fuel. See 15 USC 2821
- relevant geographic market area: includes a State or a standard metropolitan statistical area as periodically established by the Office of Management and Budget. See 15 USC 2801
- retailer: means any person who purchases motor fuel for sale to the general public for ultimate consumption. See 15 USC 2801
- significant foreign narcotics trafficker: means any foreign person that plays a significant role in international narcotics trafficking, that the President has determined to be appropriate for sanctions pursuant to this chapter, and that the President has publicly identified in the report required under subsection (b) or (h)(1) of section 1903 of this title. See 21 USC 1907
- State: means any State of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, the Canal Zone, American Samoa, the Northern Mariana Islands, or any other territory or possession of the United States. See 15 USC 2602
- State: means any State of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Guam, and any other commonwealth, territory, or possession of the United States. See 15 USC 2801
- State: means any State of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Guam, and any other commonwealth, territory, or possession of the United States. See 15 USC 2821
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- subscription: includes a mark when the person making the same intended it as such. See 1 USC 1
- termination: includes cancellation. See 15 USC 2801
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Tort: A civil wrong or breach of a duty to another person, as outlined by law. A very common tort is negligent operation of a motor vehicle that results in property damage and personal injury in an automobile accident.
- trademark: means any trademark, trade name, service mark, or other identifying symbol or name. See 15 USC 2801
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- ultimate purchaser: means , with respect to any item, the first person who purchases such item for purposes other than resale. See 15 USC 2821
- United States: when used in the geographic sense, means all of the States. See 15 USC 2602
- United States person: means any United States citizen or national, permanent resident alien, an entity organized under the laws of the United States (including its foreign branches), or any person within the United States. See 21 USC 1907
- United States Section: means the United States Commissioners on the Commission. See 16 USC 931
- User fees: Fees charged to users of goods or services provided by the government. In levying or authorizing these fees, the legislature determines whether the revenue should go into the treasury or should be available to the agency providing the goods or services.
- Usury: Charging an illegally high interest rate on a loan. Source: OCC
- Venue: The geographical location in which a case is tried.