U.S. Code > Title 22 > Chapter 35 – Arms Control and Disarmament
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
|Subchapter I||General Provisions|
|Subchapter II||Special Representatives and Visiting Scholars|
|Subchapter IV||Additional General Provisions|
|Subchapter V||On-Site Inspection Activities|
Terms Used In U.S. Code > Title 22 > Chapter 35 - Arms Control and Disarmament
- Advice and consent: Under the Constitution, presidential nominations for executive and judicial posts take effect only when confirmed by the Senate, and international treaties become effective only when the Senate approves them by a two-thirds vote.
- alcohol: means alcohol (including methanol and ethanol) which is produced from biomass and which is suitable for use by itself or in combination with other substances as a fuel or as a substitute for petroleum or petrochemical feedstocks. See 42 USC 8802
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Appraisal: A determination of property value.
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- biomass: means any organic matter which is available on a renewable basis, including agricultural crops and agricultural wastes and residues, wood and wood wastes and residues, animal wastes, municipal wastes, and aquatic plants. See 42 USC 8802
- biomass energy: means &mdash. See 42 USC 8802
- biomass energy project: means any facility (or portion of a facility) located in the United States which is primarily for&mdash. See 42 USC 8802
- biomass fuel: means any gaseous, liquid, or solid fuel produced by conversion of biomass. See 42 USC 8802
- Btu: means British thermal unit. See 42 USC 8802
- Chairman: means the Chairman of the National Advisory Council on International Monetary and Financial Policies. See 22 USC 262r
- Cigarette: means &mdash. See 26 USC 5702
- Cigarette paper: means paper, or any other material except tobacco, prepared for use as a cigarette wrapper. See 26 USC 5702
- construction: means any activities conducted at sea to supervise, inspect, actually build, or perform other functions incidental to the building, repairing, or expanding of an ocean thermal energy conversion facility or plantship or any of its components, including but not limited to, piledriving, emplacement of mooring devices, emplacement of cables and pipelines, and deployment of the cold water pipe, and alterations, modifications, or additions to an ocean thermal energy conversion facility or plantship. See 42 USC 9102
- construction: means &mdash. See 42 USC 8802
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- cooperative: means any agricultural association, as that term is defined in section 1141j(a) of title 12. See 42 USC 8802
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- energy product equivalent: means an energy carrier including, but not limited to, ammonia, hydrogen, or molten salts or an energy-intensive commodity, including, but not limited to, electrometals, fresh water, or nutrients for aquaculture. See 42 USC 9008
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- Export warehouse: means a bonded internal revenue warehouse for the storage of tobacco products or cigarette papers or tubes or any processed tobacco, upon which the internal revenue tax has not been paid, for subsequent shipment to a foreign country, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, or a possession of the United States, or for consumption beyond the jurisdiction of the internal revenue laws of the United States. See 26 USC 5702
- Federal agency: means any Executive agency, as defined in section 105 of title 5. See 42 USC 8802
- financial assistance: means any of the following forms of financial assistance provided under this chapter, or any combination of such forms:
(ii) loan guarantees,
(iii) price guarantees, and
(iv) purchase agreements. See 42 USC 8802
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Government agency: means any executive department, commission, agency, independent establishment, corporation wholly or partly owned by the United States which is an instrumentality of the United States, or any board, bureau, division, service, office, officer, authority, administration, or other establishment in the executive branch of Government. See 22 USC 2552
- high seas: means that part of the oceans lying seaward of the territorial sea of the United States and outside the territorial sea, as recognized by the United States, of any other nation. See 42 USC 9102
- Importer: means any person in the United States to whom nontaxpaid tobacco products or cigarette papers or tubes, or any processed tobacco, manufactured in a foreign country, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, or a possession of the United States are shipped or consigned. See 26 USC 5702
- Indian tribe: means any Indian tribe, band, nation, or other organized group or community, including any Alaska Native village or regional or village corporation as defined in or established pursuant to the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act [43 U. See 42 USC 8802
- INF Treaty: means the Treaty Between the United States of America and the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics on the Elimination of Their Intermediate-Range and Shorter-Range Missiles (signed at Washington, December 8, 1987). See 22 USC 2595c
- Interest rate: The amount paid by a borrower to a lender in exchange for the use of the lender's money for a certain period of time. Interest is paid on loans or on debt instruments, such as notes or bonds, either at regular intervals or as part of a lump sum payment when the issue matures. Source: OCC
- Manufacturer of tobacco products: means any person who manufactures cigars, cigarettes, smokeless tobacco, pipe tobacco, or roll-your-own tobacco, except that such term shall not include&mdash. See 26 USC 5702
- motor fuel: means gasoline, kerosene, and middle distillates (including diesel fuel). See 42 USC 8802
- municipal waste: means any organic matter, including sewage, sewage sludge, and industrial or commercial waste, and mixtures of such matter and inorganic refuse&mdash. See 42 USC 8802
- municipal waste energy project: means any facility (or portion of a facility) located in the United States primarily for&mdash. See 42 USC 8802
- ocean thermal energy conversion: means a method of converting part of the heat from the Sun which is stored in the surface layers of a body of water into electrical energy or energy product equivalent. See 42 USC 9008
- Office of Alcohol Fuels: means the Office of Alcohol Fuels established under section 8820 of this title. See 42 USC 8802
- OSIA: means the On-Site Inspection Agency established by the President, or such other agency as may be designated by the President to carry out the on-site inspection provisions of the INF Treaty. See 22 USC 2595c
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Peaceful Nuclear Explosions Treaty: means the Treaty Between the United States of America and the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics on Underground Nuclear Explosions for Peaceful Purposes (signed at Washington and Moscow, May 28, 1976). See 22 USC 2595c
- person: means any individual, company, cooperative, partnership, corporation, association, consortium, unincorporated organization, trust, estate, or any entity organized for a common business purpose, any State or local government (including any special purpose district or similar governmental unit) or any agency or instrumentality thereof, or any Indian tribe or tribal organization. See 42 USC 8802
- person: shall be construed to mean and include an individual, a trust, estate, partnership, association, company or corporation. See 26 USC 7701
- possession: includes , among other possessions, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. See 42 USC 201
- Precedent: A court decision in an earlier case with facts and law similar to a dispute currently before a court. Precedent will ordinarily govern the decision of a later similar case, unless a party can show that it was wrongly decided or that it differed in some significant way.
- Ranking minority member: The highest ranking (and usually longest serving) minority member of a committee or subcommittee.
- reimbursable construction costs: as used in this subchapter means that part of the costs of investigating, constructing, and operating and maintaining the project, which are allocated by the Secretary to irrigation, and which are met by expenditures of moneys therefor appropriated under the authority of section 590z-10(1) of this title, plus such amounts as the President, under section 590z(1) of this title, may determine to be reimbursable: Provided, That administrative expenses incurred in the District of Columbia in connection with the investigation construction, or operation and maintenance of a project shall not be included in the reimbursable construction costs nor shall they be charged to the water users in any way. See 16 USC 590z-2
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Reporter: Makes a record of court proceedings and prepares a transcript, and also publishes the court's opinions or decisions (in the courts of appeals).
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Health and Human Services. See 42 USC 201
- Secretary: means the Secretary of the Treasury or his delegate. See 26 USC 7701
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Energy. See 42 USC 9008
- Service: means the Public Health Service. See 42 USC 201
- State: means each of the several States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, American Samoa, the United States Virgin Islands, Guam, the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas, and any other Commonwealth, territory, or possession over which the United States has jurisdiction. See 42 USC 9102
- State: includes , in addition to the several States, only the District of Columbia, Guam, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Northern Mariana Islands, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, and the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands. See 42 USC 201
- State: means any of the fifty States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands of the United States, Guam, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands. See 42 USC 8802
- State: shall be construed to include the District of Columbia, where such construction is necessary to carry out provisions of this title. See 26 USC 7701
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- taxable year: means the calendar year, or the fiscal year ending during such calendar year, upon the basis of which the taxable income is computed under subtitle A. See 26 USC 7701
- taxpayer: means any person subject to any internal revenue tax. See 26 USC 7701
- Threshold Test Ban Treaty: means the Treaty Between the United States of America and the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics on the Limitation of Underground Nuclear Weapons Tests (signed at Moscow, July 3, 1974). See 22 USC 2595c
- Tobacco products: means cigars, cigarettes, smokeless tobacco, pipe tobacco, and roll-your-own tobacco. See 26 USC 5702
- vessel: includes every description of watercraft or other artificial contrivance used, or capable of being used, as a means of transportation on water. See 1 USC 3