|§ 60301||Capital representation improvement grants|
|§ 60302||Capital prosecution improvement grants|
|§ 60304||State reports|
|§ 60305||Evaluations by Inspector General and administrative remedies|
|§ 60306||Authorization of appropriations|
Terms Used In U.S. Code > Title 34 > Subtitle VI > Chapter 603 - Improving the Quality of Representation in State Capital Cases
- Appellate: About appeals; an appellate court has the power to review the judgement of another lower court or tribunal.
- association: when used in reference to a corporation, shall be deemed to embrace the words "successors and assigns of such company or association" in like manner as if these last-named words, or words of similar import, were expressed. See 1 USC 5
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- officer: includes any person authorized by law to perform the duties of the office. See 1 USC 1
- Public defender: Represent defendants who can't afford an attorney in criminal matters.
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.