Terms Used In U.S. Code > Title 42 > Chapter 23 > Subchapter XVII-A - Defense Nuclear Facilities Safety Board
- Advice and consent: Under the Constitution, presidential nominations for executive and judicial posts take effect only when confirmed by the Senate, and international treaties become effective only when the Senate approves them by a two-thirds vote.
- atomic energy: means all forms of energy released in the course of nuclear fission or nuclear transformation. See 42 USC 2014
- Commission: means the Atomic Energy Commission. See 42 USC 2014
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Department of Energy defense nuclear facility: means any of the following:
(1) A production facility or utilization facility (as defined in section 2014 of this title) that is under the control or jurisdiction of the Secretary of Energy and that is operated for national security purposes, but the term does not include--
(A) any facility or activity covered by Executive Order No. See 42 USC 2286g
- design: means (1) specifications, plans, drawings, blueprints, and other items of like nature. See 42 USC 2014
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- individual: shall include every infant member of the species homo sapiens who is born alive at any stage of development. See 1 USC 8
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- officer: includes any person authorized by law to perform the duties of the office. See 1 USC 1
- operator: means any individual who manipulates the controls of a utilization or production facility. See 42 USC 2014
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- person: means (1) any individual, corporation, partnership, firm, association, trust, estate, public or private institution, group, Government agency other than the Commission, any State or any political subdivision of, or any political entity within a State, any foreign government or nation or any political subdivision of any such government or nation, or other entity. See 42 USC 2014
- produce: when used in relation to special nuclear material, means (1) to manufacture, make, produce, or refine special nuclear material. See 42 USC 2014
- production facility: means (1) any equipment or device determined by rule of the Commission to be capable of the production of special nuclear material in such quantity as to be of significance to the common defense and security, or in such manner as to affect the health and safety of the public. See 42 USC 2014
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- United States: when used in a geographical sense includes all territories and possessions of the United States, the Canal Zone and Puerto Rico. See 42 USC 2014
- utilization facility: means (1) any equipment or device, except an atomic weapon, determined by rule of the Commission to be capable of making use of special nuclear material in such quantity as to be of significance to the common defense and security, or in such manner as to affect the health and safety of the public, or peculiarly adapted for making use of atomic energy in such quantity as to be of significance to the common defense and security, or in such manner as to affect the health and safety of the public. See 42 USC 2014
- writing: includes printing and typewriting and reproductions of visual symbols by photographing, multigraphing, mimeographing, manifolding, or otherwise. See 1 USC 1