|§ 4081||Services by insurance industry|
|§ 4082||Use of insurance pool, companies, or other private organizations for certain payments|
|§ 4083||Settlement of claims; arbitration|
|§ 4084||Records and audits|
Terms Used In U.S. Code > Title 42 > Chapter 50 > Subchapter II > Part C - General Provisions
- Administrator: means the Administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency. See 42 USC 4121
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Indemnification: In general, a collateral contract or assurance under which one person agrees to secure another person against either anticipated financial losses or potential adverse legal consequences. Source: FDIC
- individual: shall include every infant member of the species homo sapiens who is born alive at any stage of development. See 1 USC 8
- insurance adjustment organization: includes any organizations and persons engaged in the business of adjusting loss claims arising under insurance policies issued by any insurance company or other insurer. See 42 USC 4121
- insurance agent or broker: include any organization or person that is authorized to engage in the business of insurance under the laws of any State, subject to the reporting requirements of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 [15 U. See 42 USC 4121
- officer: includes any person authorized by law to perform the duties of the office. See 1 USC 1
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.