(a) When the department is unable to verify that liability insurance coverage exists for a motor vehicle registered or required to be registered in this state, the department shall send the registrant notice via USPS mail at the last known address as reflected on the department’s motor vehicle registration records. The notice shall require that the registrant, within 30 calendar days of the date of the notice, provide evidence of continuous liability insurance coverage for the vehicle for the period specified by the department. The registration will be suspended unless either:
Terms Used In Alabama Code 32-7A-11
- department: The Alabama State Law Enforcement Agency of this state acting directly or through its duly authorized officers and agents. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- mail: To deposit in the United States mail properly addressed and with postage prepaid. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- MOTOR VEHICLE: Every vehicle which is self-propelled and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails, except for electric personal assistive mobility devices. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- registration: The registration certificate or certificates and registration plates issued under the laws of this state pertaining to the registration of vehicles. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- state: A state, territory, or possession of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a province of Canada. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- vehicle: Every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, excepting devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks or electric personal assistive mobility devices; provided, that for the purposes of this title, a bicycle or a ridden animal shall be deemed a vehicle, except those provisions of this title, which by their very nature can have no application. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
(1) The registrant responds within the required time frame and the response establishes that the registrant has not had a lapse in liability insurance coverage. The department shall then indicate in its records that the insured is in compliance with this chapter.
(2) The registrant responds within the required time frame that, after the registration date, he or she did not operate the vehicle during the lapse in coverage due to the motor vehicle being stored, inoperable, or otherwise unused as prescribed by the department. The current registration shall then be revoked and the department shall update its records to reflect that the registration is revoked for the remainder of the registration period. In the event the motor vehicle for which the registration has been revoked is no longer stored, inoperable, or otherwise unused as prescribed by the department, a new registration and license plate must be obtained prior to operating the vehicle.
(b) If the registrant subsequently provides, in a manner as prescribed by the department, proof of subsequent liability insurance coverage for the vehicle during the current registration period then the registration shall be reinstated.
(c) Any operator of a motor vehicle for which the registration has been revoked shall be subject to citation by law enforcement in accordance with Section 32-7A-16.