(a) A person is guilty of a Class C misdemeanor who:
Terms Used In Alabama Code 32-7A-16
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- highway: The entire width between the boundary lines of every way publicly maintained when any part thereof is open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- MOTOR VEHICLE: Every vehicle which is self-propelled and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails, except for electric personal assistive mobility devices. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- person: Every natural person, firm, copartnership, association, or corporation. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- registration: The registration certificate or certificates and registration plates issued under the laws of this state pertaining to the registration of vehicles. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- stop: When required, means complete cessation from movement. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- traffic: Pedestrians, ridden or herded animals, vehicles, streetcars, and other conveyances either singly or together while using any highway for purposes of travel. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- vehicle: Every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, excepting devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks or electric personal assistive mobility devices; provided, that for the purposes of this title, a bicycle or a ridden animal shall be deemed a vehicle, except those provisions of this title, which by their very nature can have no application. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
(1) Operates a motor vehicle without a liability insurance policy, a commercial automobile liability insurance policy, a motor vehicle liability insurance bond, or deposit of cash in accordance with this chapter.
(2) With notice of cancellation, recision, abrogation, or termination of insurance, registers, or attempts to register a motor vehicle.
(b) A person shall be guilty of a traffic violation who:
(1) Operates a motor vehicle and upon demand of a law enforcement officer, fails or refuses to present satisfactory evidence of insurance unless a law enforcement officer verifies motor vehicle liability insurance coverage through the online insurance verification system.
(2) Operates a vehicle the registration of which is suspended or revoked pursuant to this chapter.
(3) Operates a motor vehicle and presents evidence of insurance when there is no valid insurance in effect on the motor vehicle as required by this chapter.
(c) A motor vehicle may be impounded at the discretion of a law enforcement officer if the operator fails to provide evidence of registration and insurance as required by this title or Title 40. Evidence of registration and insurance may be verified through the online insurance verification system and other electronic means as necessary.
(d) For the purposes of this chapter, the reference herein to operating a motor vehicle shall be satisfied whenever it is apparent that the vehicle has traveled any distance upon a public road or highway and a law enforcement officer may have only observed the results of finding the vehicle stopped either on or off the public road or highway, as for example when the vehicle has come to a stop after an accident. Witnessing the operation of the vehicle is not required for a citation to be issued under this chapter.