No person shall present evidence of insurance to a law enforcement officer, court, officer of the court, the Department of Revenue, or office of the licensing official charged with motor vehicle registration and titling responsibilities, knowing there is no valid liability insurance in effect on the motor vehicle as required under Section 32-7A-4 or knowing the evidence of insurance is altered, counterfeit, or otherwise invalid as evidence of insurance required under Section 32-7A-4. If the law enforcement officer issues a citation to a motor vehicle operator for presenting invalid evidence of insurance, the officer shall confiscate the evidence for presentation in court.
(Act 2000-554, p. 1005, §3; Act 2011-688, p. 2076, §3.)
Terms Used In Alabama Code 32-7A-22
- department: The Alabama State Law Enforcement Agency of this state acting directly or through its duly authorized officers and agents. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- MOTOR VEHICLE: Every vehicle which is self-propelled and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails, except for electric personal assistive mobility devices. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- person: Every natural person, firm, copartnership, association, or corporation. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- registration: The registration certificate or certificates and registration plates issued under the laws of this state pertaining to the registration of vehicles. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- vehicle: Every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, excepting devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks or electric personal assistive mobility devices; provided, that for the purposes of this title, a bicycle or a ridden animal shall be deemed a vehicle, except those provisions of this title, which by their very nature can have no application. See Alabama Code 16-36-23