No person charged with violating the requirements of this chapter to maintain or present, or both, evidence of insurance shall be convicted of a Class C misdemeanor in accordance with subsection (a) of Section 32-7A-16 if such person produces in court satisfactory evidence that, at the time of the citation, the motor vehicle was covered by a liability insurance policy, commercial automobile liability insurance policy, liability insurance bond, or deposit of cash in accordance with Section 32-7A-4. However, such person may be convicted of a traffic violation as set forth in subsection (b) of Section 32-7A-16.
(Act 2011-688, p. 2076, §4.)
Terms Used In Alabama Code 32-7A-23
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- MOTOR VEHICLE: Every vehicle which is self-propelled and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails, except for electric personal assistive mobility devices. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- person: Every natural person, firm, copartnership, association, or corporation. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- traffic: Pedestrians, ridden or herded animals, vehicles, streetcars, and other conveyances either singly or together while using any highway for purposes of travel. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- vehicle: Every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, excepting devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks or electric personal assistive mobility devices; provided, that for the purposes of this title, a bicycle or a ridden animal shall be deemed a vehicle, except those provisions of this title, which by their very nature can have no application. See Alabama Code 16-36-23