If the department determines that an owner has registered or maintained the registration of a motor vehicle without a liability insurance policy or a commercial automobile liability insurance policy in accordance with Section 32-7A-4, the department shall notify the owner that such owner’s vehicle registration shall be suspended 30 calendar days after the date of the mailing of the notice unless the owner furnishes evidence of insurance in effect on the verification date, as prescribed by the department. The notice shall be in writing and shall be mailed by the U.S. Postal Service, to the registrant’s last known address as reflected on the department’s motor vehicle registration records.
(Act 2000-554, p. 1005, §1; Act 2011-688, p. 2076, §2.)
Terms Used In Alabama Code 32-7A-8
- department: The Alabama State Law Enforcement Agency of this state acting directly or through its duly authorized officers and agents. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- MOTOR VEHICLE: Every vehicle which is self-propelled and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails, except for electric personal assistive mobility devices. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- owner: A person, other than a lienholder, having the property in or title to a vehicle. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- registration: The registration certificate or certificates and registration plates issued under the laws of this state pertaining to the registration of vehicles. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- vehicle: Every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, excepting devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks or electric personal assistive mobility devices; provided, that for the purposes of this title, a bicycle or a ridden animal shall be deemed a vehicle, except those provisions of this title, which by their very nature can have no application. See Alabama Code 16-36-23
- writing: includes typewriting and printing on paper. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608