|Article 1||General Provisions||16-28-1 – 16-28-24|
|Article 2||Conditioning of Driving Privileges upon School Attendance||16-28-40 – 16-28-45|
Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 16 > Chapter 28
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- agency: Any recipient of state funds. See Alabama Code 27-13-3
- Allegation: something that someone says happened.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Bail: Security given for the release of a criminal defendant or witness from legal custody (usually in the form of money) to secure his/her appearance on the day and time appointed.
- BUSINESS TRUST: A business trust as defined in Chapter 16. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Chambers: A judge's office.
- circuit: means judicial circuit. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Civil forfeiture: The loss of ownership of property used to conduct illegal activity.
- commissioner: The Commissioner of Revenue of the state. See Alabama Code 45-11-244.01
- continuance: Such term, or any derivative thereof shall mean continuance as presently in existence or as modified or reestablished by recommended legislation. See Alabama Code 27-13-21
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- county: Chilton County in the state. See Alabama Code 45-11-244.01
- court: Every court and judge having jurisdiction in a case. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- DEBTOR IN BANKRUPTCY: A person who is the subject of:
(A) an order for relief under the United States bankruptcy laws, Title 11, United States Code, or comparable order under a successor statute of general application; or
(B) a comparable order under federal, state, or foreign law governing insolvency. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- distribution: except as otherwise provided in Section 10A-9A-5. See Alabama Code 45-10-234.06
- employee: Except as provided in Sections 31-12-5, 31-12-6, 31-12-7, and 31-12-8, any person employed by a public or private employer. See Alabama Code 16-25A-46
- Entitlement: A Federal program or provision of law that requires payments to any person or unit of government that meets the eligibility criteria established by law. Entitlements constitute a binding obligation on the part of the Federal Government, and eligible recipients have legal recourse if the obligation is not fulfilled. Social Security and veterans' compensation and pensions are examples of entitlement programs.
- ENUMERATED AGENCY: All departments, councils, boards, commissions, divisions, bureaus or like governmental units or subunits of the State of Alabama which are enumerated herein. See Alabama Code 27-13-21
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- FEDERALLY FUNDED DUTY OTHER THAN TRAINING: Any duty performed in an operational role for homeland security in accordance with Title 32 U. See Alabama Code 16-25A-46
- FILING INSTRUMENT: An instrument, document, or statement that is required or authorized by this title to be filed by or for an entity with the filing officer in accordance with Article 4. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- FILING OFFICER: The officer with whom a filing instrument is required or permitted to be filed under Article 4 or under any other provision of this title. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- GENERAL PARTNER: means :
(A) with respect to a limited partnership, a person that:
(i) is admitted as a general partner under Section 10A-9A-4. See Alabama Code 45-10-234.06
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- individual: A natural person and the estate of an incompetent or deceased natural person. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Joint committee: Committees including membership from both houses of teh legislature. Joint committees are usually established with narrow jurisdictions and normally lack authority to report legislation.
- JUDGE OF PROBATE: The judge of probate of the county in which a domestic entity's certificate of formation is filed, or, with respect to a statement of authority under Chapter 8A, which is to be filed in the real property records of a particular county, the judge of probate of the county in which that statement is filed. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- law: Unless the context requires otherwise, both statutory and common law. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Legislative session: That part of a chamber's daily session in which it considers legislative business (bills, resolutions, and actions related thereto).
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- LIMITED LIABILITY LIMITED PARTNERSHIP: A limited liability limited partnership as defined in Chapter 9A. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- LIMITED PARTNER: means :
(A) with respect to a limited partnership, a person that:
(i) is admitted as a limited partner under Section 10A-9A-3. See Alabama Code 45-10-234.06
- LIMITED PARTNERSHIP: A limited partnership as defined in Chapter 9A. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- NONENUMERATED AGENCY: All departments, councils, boards, commissions, divisions, bureaus or like governmental units of the State of Alabama which are not enumerated herein. See Alabama Code 27-13-21
- oath: includes affirmation. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- organization: A corporation, limited partnership, general partnership, limited liability company, business trust, real estate investment trust, joint venture, joint stock company, cooperative, association, bank, insurance company, credit union, savings and loan association, or other organization, regardless of whether the organization is for profit, not for profit, nonprofit, domestic, or foreign. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- partner: means a limited partner or general partner. See Alabama Code 45-10-234.06
- partnership: Includes a general partnership, a limited liability partnership, a foreign limited liability partnership, a limited partnership, a foreign limited partnership, a limited liability limited partnership, and a foreign limited liability limited partnership. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- PARTNERSHIP AGREEMENT: means any agreement (whether referred to as a partnership agreement or otherwise), written, oral or implied, of the partners as to the activities and affairs of a limited partnership. See Alabama Code 45-10-234.06
- PASS-THROUGH APPROPRIATIONS: The expenditure of state funds by an agency at the explicit direction of a member of the Legislature, or a person acting on behalf of such member, if such expenditure is not for a purpose specified in a line-item appropriation. See Alabama Code 27-13-3
- PERSON DISSOCIATED AS A GENERAL PARTNER: means a person dissociated as a general partner of a limited partnership. See Alabama Code 45-10-234.06
- President pro tempore: A constitutionally recognized officer of the Senate who presides over the chamber in the absence of the Vice President. The President Pro Tempore (or, "president for a time") is elected by the Senate and is, by custom, the Senator of the majority party with the longest record of continuous service.
- Presiding officer: A majority-party Senator who presides over the Senate and is charged with maintaining order and decorum, recognizing Members to speak, and interpreting the Senate's rules, practices and precedents.
- Probate: Proving a will
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- property: Includes all property, whether real, personal, or mixed, or tangible or intangible, or any right or interest therein. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- PUBLIC HOSPITAL CORPORATION: The Chilton County Health Care Authority, or any successor thereto, or any other public corporation heretofore or hereafter organized for hospital purposes in the county under any general law heretofore or hereafter enacted by the Legislature. See Alabama Code 45-11-244.01
- REQUIRED INFORMATION: means the information that a limited partnership is required to maintain under Section 10A-9A-1. See Alabama Code 45-10-234.06
- RESERVE COMPONENT OF THE ARMED FORCES: The United States Army Reserve, United States Navy Reserve, United States Marine Corps Reserve, United States Coast Guard Reserve, United States Air Force Reserve, and Alabama National Guard. See Alabama Code 16-25A-46
- SECRETARY OF STATE: The Secretary of State of the State of Alabama. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- state: Includes, when referring to a part of the United States, a state or commonwealth, and its agencies and governmental subdivisions, and a territory or possession, and its agencies and governmental subdivisions, of the United States. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- state: The State of Alabama. See Alabama Code 45-11-244.01
- STATE ACTIVE DUTY: Any state funded duty performed for 30 consecutive days or more by an active member of the Alabama National Guard in accordance with this title. See Alabama Code 16-25A-46
- STATE DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE: The Department of Revenue of the state. See Alabama Code 45-11-244.01
- STATE SALES TAX: The tax or taxes imposed by the state sales tax statutes. See Alabama Code 45-11-244.01
- STATE SALES TAX STATUTES: Division 1 of Article 1 of Chapter 23 of Title 40, including all other statutes of the state which expressly set forth any exemptions from the computation of the taxes levied in Division 1 and all other statutes which expressly apply to, or purport to affect, the administration of Division 1 and the incidence and collection of the taxes imposed therein. See Alabama Code 45-11-244.01
- STATE USE TAX: The tax or taxes imposed by the state use tax statutes. See Alabama Code 45-11-244.01
- STATE USE TAX STATUTES: Article 2 of Chapter 23 of Title 40, including all other statutes of the state which expressly set forth any exemptions from the computation of the tax levied in Article 2 and all other statutes of the state which expressly apply to, or purport to affect, the administration of Article 2 and the incidence and collection of the taxes imposed therein. See Alabama Code 45-11-244.01
- Statute of limitations: A law that sets the time within which parties must take action to enforce their rights.
- SUNSET BILL: Any bill introduced pursuant to subsection (d) of Section 41-20-4 of this act. See Alabama Code 27-13-21
- termination: The end, abolishment or annulment of any agency or the act of causing the existence to cease. See Alabama Code 27-13-21
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- transfer: means an assignment, conveyance, deed, bill of sale, lease, mortgage, security interest, encumbrance, gift, or transfer by operation of law. See Alabama Code 45-10-234.06
- TRANSFERABLE INTEREST: means a partner's right to receive distributions from a limited partnership. See Alabama Code 45-10-234.06
- transferee: means a person to which all or part of a transferable interest has been transferred, whether or not the transferor is a partner. See Alabama Code 45-10-234.06
- trustee: A person who serves as a trustee of a trust, including a real estate investment trust. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Verdict: The decision of a petit jury or a judge.