|Article 1||Counties or Municipalities||23-4-1 – 23-4-6|
|Article 2||Abutting Landowners||23-4-20|
Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 23 > Chapter 4
- Appellate: About appeals; an appellate court has the power to review the judgement of another lower court or tribunal.
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- commissioner: The Commissioner of the State Department of Human Resources. See Alabama Code 23-2-149
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Docket: A log containing brief entries of court proceedings.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Foreclosure: A legal process in which property that is collateral or security for a loan may be sold to help repay the loan when the loan is in default. Source: OCC
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- QUALIFIED MINOR: The term as it is defined in Section 22-8A-3. See Alabama Code 45-22-81.03
- Reporter: Makes a record of court proceedings and prepares a transcript, and also publishes the court's opinions or decisions (in the courts of appeals).
- school: Any primary or secondary public school located in the state. See Alabama Code 45-22-81.03
- SCHOOL EMPLOYEE: Any individual employed by a public school system located in the state. See Alabama Code 45-22-81.03
- SCHOOL NURSE: A nurse licensed by the Alabama Board of Nursing and employed as a school nurse by a public school system located in the state. See Alabama Code 45-22-81.03
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.