|Chapter 5201||Galveston County Road District No. 1||5201.001 – 5201.101|
|Chapter 5202||Nueces County Road District No. 4||5202.001 – 5202.051|
Terms Used In Texas Special District Local Laws Code > Title 5 > Subtitle B
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Bailiff: a court officer who enforces the rules of behavior in courtrooms.
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Donor: The person who makes a gift.
- Fee simple: Absolute title to property with no limitations or restrictions regarding the person who may inherit it.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- General election: means an election, other than a primary election, that regularly recurs at fixed dates. See Texas Election Code 1.005
- General election for state and county officers: means the general election at which officers of the federal, state, and county governments are elected. See Texas Election Code 1.005
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Grand jury: agreement providing that a lender will delay exercising its rights (in the case of a mortgage,
- Gubernatorial general election: means the general election held every four years to elect a governor for a full term. See Texas Election Code 1.005
- Habeas corpus: A writ that is usually used to bring a prisoner before the court to determine the legality of his imprisonment. It may also be used to bring a person in custody before the court to give testimony, or to be prosecuted.
- in writing: includes any representation of words, letters, or figures, whether by writing, printing, or other means. See Texas Government Code 312.011
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Preliminary hearing: A hearing where the judge decides whether there is enough evidence to make the defendant have a trial.
- Primary election: means an election held by a political party under Chapter Texas Election Code 1.005
- Residence address: means the street address and any apartment number, or the address at which mail is received if the residence has no address, and the city, state, and zip code that correspond to a person's residence. See Texas Election Code 1.005
- Rule: includes regulation. See Texas Government Code 311.005
- Signature: includes the mark of a person unable to write, and "subscribe" includes the making of such a mark. See Texas Government Code 312.011
- Signed: includes any symbol executed or adopted by a person with present intention to authenticate a writing. See Texas Government Code 311.005
- Statewide office: means an office of the federal or state government that is voted on statewide. See Texas Election Code 1.005
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Voting year: means the 12-month period beginning January 1 of each year. See Texas Election Code 1.005
- Week: means seven consecutive days. See Texas Government Code 311.005