Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 27 > Chapter 21
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- board: The Lee County Alternative Sentencing Board. See Alabama Code 45-41-83.01
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- drug: Includes all of the following:
a. See Alabama Code 45-41-83.01
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- FORGED INSTRUMENT: A written instrument which has been falsely made, completed or altered. See Alabama Code 13A-9-1
- Forgery: The fraudulent signing or alteration of another's name to an instrument such as a deed, mortgage, or check. The intent of the forgery is to deceive or defraud. Source: OCC
- INTENT TO DEFRAUD: A purpose to use deception, as defined in Section 13A-8-1(1), or to injure another person's interest which has value, as defined in Section 13A-8-1(14). See Alabama Code 13A-9-1
- Judgement: The official decision of a court finally determining the respective rights and claims of the parties to a suit.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- oath: includes affirmation. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- participant: A person who has been approved for participation in the program. See Alabama Code 45-41-83.01
- personal property: includes money, goods, chattels, things in action and evidence of debt, deeds and conveyances. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- program: The Lee County Alternative Sentencing Program. See Alabama Code 45-41-83.01
- property: Such term is defined as in Section 13A-8-1(10). See Alabama Code 13A-9-1
- VIOLENT OFFENSE: An offense or charge as defined in subdivision (14) of Section 12-25-32, to also include chemical endangerment of a child pursuant to Section 26-15-3. See Alabama Code 45-41-83.01
- WRITTEN INSTRUMENT: Such term means:
- a. See Alabama Code 13A-9-1