Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 27 > Chapter 21
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- material: A statement is "material" regardless of the admissibility of the statement under the rules of evidence, if it could have affected the course or outcome of the official proceeding. See Alabama Code 45-43-244.04
- oath: Such term includes an affirmation and every other mode authorized by law of attesting to the truth of that which is stated. See Alabama Code 45-43-244.04
- OFFICIAL PROCEEDING: Any proceeding heard before any legislative, judicial, administrative or other government agency or official authorized to hear evidence under oath. See Alabama Code 45-43-244.04
- Statute of limitations: A law that sets the time within which parties must take action to enforce their rights.