Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 27 > Chapter 48
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- HEALTH BENEFIT PLAN: A health insurance policy that covers hospital, medical, or surgical expenses, health maintenance organizations, preferred provider organizations, medical service organizations, physician-hospital organizations, or any other person, firm, corporation, joint venture, or other similar business entity that pays for, purchases, or furnishes health care services to patients, insureds, or beneficiaries in this state. See Alabama Code 27-48-1
- MEDICALLY NECESSARY: A medical or surgical service, including inpatient hospital care, is medically necessary when in the opinion of the attending physician or the attending certified nurse midwife practicing in collaboration with an obstetrician-gynecologist, the patient's health would be adversely affected if the service is withheld or discontinued. See Alabama Code 27-48-1
- Writ: A formal written command, issued from the court, requiring the performance of a specific act.