|Article 1||Agricultural and Industrial Exhibit Commission||2-7-1 – 2-7-7|
|Article 2||State Aid to Agricultural Fairs||2-7-20 – 2-7-32|
|Article 3||State Aid to Livestock Shows||2-7-50 – 2-7-53|
Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 2 > Chapter 7
- Amortization: Paying off a loan by regular installments.
- apiary: A location or site on which one or more colonies of bees is located. See Alabama Code 2-14-1
- Arraignment: A proceeding in which an individual who is accused of committing a crime is brought into court, told of the charges, and asked to plead guilty or not guilty.
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- Attorney-at-law: A person who is legally qualified and licensed to practice law, and to represent and act for clients in legal proceedings.
- Attorney-in-fact: A person who, acting as an agent, is given written authorization by another person to transact business for him (her) out of court.
- Baseline: Projection of the receipts, outlays, and other budget amounts that would ensue in the future without any change in existing policy. Baseline projections are used to gauge the extent to which proposed legislation, if enacted into law, would alter current spending and revenue levels.
- Business: includes every trade, occupation, and profession for profit. See Alabama Code 10A-8A-1.02
- Charity: An agency, institution, or organization in existence and operating for the benefit of an indefinite number of persons and conducted for educational, religious, scientific, medical, or other beneficent purposes.
- claims: In respect of a protected person, includes liabilities of the protected person, whether arising in contract, tort, or otherwise, and liabilities of the estate which arise at or after the appointment of a conservator, including expenses of administration. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- Clerk of court: An officer appointed by the court to work with the chief judge in overseeing the court's administration, especially to assist in managing the flow of cases through the court and to maintain court records.
- COLONY OF BEES: A queen bee and worker bees on comb enclosed in any container. See Alabama Code 2-14-1
- conservator: A person who is appointed by a court to manage the estate of a protected person and includes a limited conservator described in Section 26-2A-148(a). See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- Constituent organization: means an organization that is party to a merger under this article. See Alabama Code 10A-8A-9.01
- Constituent partnership: means a constituent organization that is a partnership. See Alabama Code 10A-8A-9.01
- contribution: A tangible or intangible benefit that a person transfers to an entity in consideration for an ownership interest in the entity or otherwise in the person's capacity as an owner or a member. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- Converted organization: means the organization into which a converting organization converts pursuant to this article. See Alabama Code 10A-8A-9.01
- Converting organization: means an organization that converts into another organization pursuant to this article. See Alabama Code 10A-8A-9.01
- Converting partnership: means a converting organization that is a partnership. See Alabama Code 10A-8A-9.01
- corporation: Includes a domestic or foreign business corporation as defined in Chapter 2 or Chapter 2A, as applicable, a domestic or foreign nonprofit corporation as defined in Chapter 3, a domestic or foreign professional corporation as defined in Chapter 4, and those entities specified in Chapter 20 as corporate. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- court: A probate court of this state. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- Court reporter: A person who makes a word-for-word record of what is said in court and produces a transcript of the proceedings upon request.
- Decedent: A deceased person.
- disability: Cause for a protective order as described in Section 26-2A-130. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- Disqualified person: means any person who is not a qualified person. See Alabama Code 10A-8A-1.02
- Distribution: except as otherwise provided in Section 10A-8A-4. See Alabama Code 10A-8A-1.02
- domestic: With respect to an entity, that the entity is formed and exists pursuant to this title. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- Donor: The person who makes a gift.
- estate: Includes the property of the person whose affairs are subject to this chapter. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- Ex officio: Literally, by virtue of one's office.
- Executor: A male person named in a will to carry out the decedent
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Foreign limited liability partnership: means a foreign partnership whose partners have limited liability for the debts, obligations, or other liabilities of the foreign partnership under a provision similar to Section 10A-8A-3. See Alabama Code 10A-8A-1.02
- FOREIGN LIMITED PARTNERSHIP: A foreign limited partnership as defined in Chapter 9A. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- Foreign partnership: means a partnership governed by the laws of a jurisdiction other than this state which would be a partnership if governed by the laws of this state. See Alabama Code 10A-8A-1.02
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Garnishment: Generally, garnishment is a court proceeding in which a creditor asks a court to order a third party who owes money to the debtor or otherwise holds assets belonging to the debtor to turn over to the creditor any of the debtor
- guardian: A person who has qualified as a guardian of a minor or incapacitated person pursuant to parental or spousal nomination or court appointment and includes a limited guardian as described in Sections 26-2A-78(e) and 26-2A-105(c), but excludes one who is merely a guardian ad litem. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- Impeachment: (1) The process of calling something into question, as in "impeaching the testimony of a witness." (2) The constitutional process whereby the House of Representatives may "impeach" (accuse of misconduct) high officers of the federal government for trial in the Senate.
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- lease: Includes an oil, gas, or other mineral lease. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- letters: Includes letters of guardianships and letters of conservatorship. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- LICENSING AUTHORITY: The state court, state regulatory licensing board, or other like agency which has the power to issue a license or other legal authorization to render professional services. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- LIMITED LIABILITY LIMITED PARTNERSHIP: A limited liability limited partnership as defined in Chapter 9A. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- LIMITED LIABILITY PARTNERSHIP: A limited liability partnership as defined in Chapter 8A. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- LIMITED PARTNERSHIP: A limited partnership as defined in Chapter 9A. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- minor: A person who is under 19 years of age and has not otherwise had the disabilities of minority removed. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- mortgage: Any conveyance, agreement, or arrangement in which property is used as collateral. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- NONPROFIT CORPORATION: A domestic or foreign nonprofit corporation as defined in Chapter 3. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- Not for profit activity: includes every undertaking not for profit. See Alabama Code 10A-8A-1.02
- organization: A corporation, limited partnership, general partnership, limited liability company, business trust, real estate investment trust, joint venture, joint stock company, cooperative, association, bank, insurance company, credit union, savings and loan association, or other organization, regardless of whether the organization is for profit, not for profit, nonprofit, domestic, or foreign. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- Organization: means a partnership, including a limited liability partnership; limited partnership, including a limited liability limited partnership; limited liability company; business trust; corporation; nonprofit corporation; professional corporation; or any other person having a governing statute. See Alabama Code 10A-8A-9.01
- organization: Includes a corporation, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, association, two or more persons having a joint or common interest, government, governmental subdivision or agency, or any other legal entity. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- Organizational documents: means :
(A)(i) for a partnership, its partnership agreement and, if applicable, its statement of partnership, statement of not for profit partnership, or statement of limited liability partnership; and (ii) for a foreign partnership, its partnership agreement and, if applicable, its statement of foreign limited liability partnership;
(B) for a limited partnership or foreign limited partnership, its certificate of formation and partnership agreement, or comparable writings as provided in its governing statute;
(C) for a limited liability company or foreign limited liability company, its certificate of formation and limited liability company agreement, or comparable writings as provided in its governing statute;
(D) for a business or statutory trust or foreign business or statutory trust its agreement of trust and declaration of trust, or comparable writings as provided in its governing statute;
(E) for a corporation for profit or foreign corporation for profit, its certificate of formation, bylaws, and other agreements among its shareholders that are authorized by its governing statute, or comparable writings as provided in its governing statute;
(F) for a nonprofit corporation or foreign nonprofit corporation, its certificate of formation, bylaws, and other agreements that are authorized by its governing statute, or comparable writings as provided in its governing statute;
(G) for a professional corporation or foreign professional corporation, its certificate of formation, bylaws, and other agreements among its shareholders that are authorized by its governing statute, or comparable writings as provided in its governing statute; and
(H) for any other organization, the basic writings that create the organization and determine its internal governance and the relations among the persons that own it, have an interest in it, or are members of it. See Alabama Code 10A-8A-9.01
- owners: as used in this article , shall mean the person in whose name the property is assessed for ad valorem tax purposes in the absence of proof to the contrary. See Alabama Code 11-42-20
- parent: Includes any person entitled to take, or who would be entitled to take if the child died without a will, as a parent by intestate succession from the child whose relationship is in question and excludes any person who is only a stepparent, foster parent, or grandparent. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- Partner: means a person that:
(A) has become a partner in a partnership under Section 10A-8A-4. See Alabama Code 10A-8A-1.02
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Partnership: means an entity that is formed under this chapter or that is governed by this chapter. See Alabama Code 10A-8A-1.02
- Partnership agreement: means any agreement (whether referred to as a partnership agreement or otherwise), written, oral or implied, of the partners as to the business or not for profit activity of a partnership. See Alabama Code 10A-8A-1.02
- Partnership at will: means a partnership in which the partners have not agreed to remain partners until the expiration of a definite term or the completion of a particular undertaking. See Alabama Code 10A-8A-1.02
- person: An individual, a partnership, a corporation or two or more individuals having a joint or common interest. See Alabama Code 2-1-1
- person: An individual or an organization, unless the context otherwise requires. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- Person dissociated as a partner: means a person dissociated as a partner of a partnership. See Alabama Code 10A-8A-1.02
- petition: A written request to the court for an order after notice. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- Plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court.
- Power of attorney: A written instrument which authorizes one person to act as another's agent or attorney. The power of attorney may be for a definite, specific act, or it may be general in nature. The terms of the written power of attorney may specify when it will expire. If not, the power of attorney usually expires when the person granting it dies. Source: OCC
- Precedent: A court decision in an earlier case with facts and law similar to a dispute currently before a court. Precedent will ordinarily govern the decision of a later similar case, unless a party can show that it was wrongly decided or that it differed in some significant way.
- President pro tempore: A constitutionally recognized officer of the Senate who presides over the chamber in the absence of the Vice President. The President Pro Tempore (or, "president for a time") is elected by the Senate and is, by custom, the Senator of the majority party with the longest record of continuous service.
- proceeding: Includes action at law and suit in equity. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- PROFESSIONAL CORPORATION: A domestic or foreign professional corporation as defined in Chapter 4. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- PROFESSIONAL SERVICE: Any type of service that may lawfully be performed only pursuant to a license issued by a state court, state regulatory licensing board, or other like agency pursuant to state laws. See Alabama Code 10A-1-1.03
- property: Includes both real and personal property or any interest therein and means anything that may be the subject of ownership. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- PROTECTED PERSON: A minor or other person for whom a conservator has been appointed or other protective order has been made as provided in Sections 26-2A-136 and 26-2A-137. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- PROTECTIVE PROCEEDING: A proceeding under the provisions of Article 2, Division 3. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- Public debt: Cumulative amounts borrowed by the Treasury Department or the Federal Financing Bank from the public or from another fund or account. The public debt does not include agency debt (amounts borrowed by other agencies of the Federal Government). The total public debt is subject to a statutory limit.
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Reporter: Makes a record of court proceedings and prepares a transcript, and also publishes the court's opinions or decisions (in the courts of appeals).
- Revocable trust: A trust agreement that can be canceled, rescinded, revoked, or repealed by the grantor (person who establishes the trust).
- security: Includes any note, stock, treasury stock, bond, debenture, evidence of indebtedness, certificate of interest or participation in an oil, gas, or mining title or lease or in payments out of production under such a title or lease, collateral trust certificate, transferable share, voting trust certificate or, in general, any interest or instrument commonly known as a security, or any certificate of interest or participation, any temporary or interim certificate, receipt or certificate of deposit for, or any warrant or right to subscribe to or purchase any of the foregoing. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20
- Statement: means a statement of partnership under Section 10A-8A-2. See Alabama Code 10A-8A-1.02
- subscription: include a mark when the person cannot write, if his name is written near the mark, and witnessed by a person who writes his own name as a witness, and include with respect to corporate securities facsimile signature placed upon any instrument or writing with intent to execute or authenticate such instrument or writing. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- Surviving organization: means an organization into which one or more other organizations are merged under this article, whether the organization pre-existed the merger or was created pursuant to the merger. See Alabama Code 10A-8A-9.01
- Transfer: means an assignment, conveyance, deed, bill of sale, lease, mortgage, security interest, encumbrance, gift, or transfer by operation of law. See Alabama Code 10A-8A-1.02
- Transferable interest: means a partner's right to receive distributions from a partnership. See Alabama Code 10A-8A-1.02
- Transferee: means a person to which all or part of a transferable interest has been transferred, whether or not the transferor is a partner. See Alabama Code 10A-8A-1.02
- ward: A person for whom a guardian has been appointed. See Alabama Code 26-2A-20