|Article 1||General Provisions||37-6-1 – 37-6-29|
|Article 2||Rural Telephone Service||37-6-40 – 37-6-49|
Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 37 > Chapter 6
- Adjourn: A motion to adjourn a legislative chamber or a committee, if passed, ends that day's session.
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- articles of incorporation: as used in this chapter , shall be deemed to include the articles of conversion of a converted corporation. See Alabama Code 37-6-16
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Bankruptcy: Refers to statutes and judicial proceedings involving persons or businesses that cannot pay their debts and seek the assistance of the court in getting a fresh start. Under the protection of the bankruptcy court, debtors may discharge their debts, perhaps by paying a portion of each debt. Bankruptcy judges preside over these proceedings.
- circuit: means judicial circuit. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- commission: The Alabama Public Service Commission;
(6) FEDERAL SAFETY STANDARDS. See Alabama Code 37-4-90
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- corporation: Includes a domestic or foreign business corporation as defined in Chapter 2, a domestic or foreign nonprofit corporation as defined in Chapter 3, a domestic or foreign professional corporation as defined in Chapter 4, and those entities specified in Chapter 20 as corporate. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- court: Every court and judge having jurisdiction in a case. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Entitlement: A Federal program or provision of law that requires payments to any person or unit of government that meets the eligibility criteria established by law. Entitlements constitute a binding obligation on the part of the Federal Government, and eligible recipients have legal recourse if the obligation is not fulfilled. Social Security and veterans' compensation and pensions are examples of entitlement programs.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Guarantor: A party who agrees to be responsible for the payment of another party's debts should that party default. Source: OCC
- Indemnification: In general, a collateral contract or assurance under which one person agrees to secure another person against either anticipated financial losses or potential adverse legal consequences. Source: FDIC
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Mortgagor: The person who pledges property to a creditor as collateral for a loan and who receives the money.
- Nolo contendere: No contest-has the same effect as a plea of guilty, as far as the criminal sentence is concerned, but may not be considered as an admission of guilt for any other purpose.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- person: Any individual, firm, joint venture, partnership, corporation, association, or joint stock association and includes any trustee, receiver, assignee, or personal representative thereof engaged in the transportation of hazardous liquids. See Alabama Code 37-4-90
- personal property: includes money, goods, chattels, things in action and evidence of debt, deeds and conveyances. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court.
- Principal office: means the office, in or out of this state, so designated in the annual report where the principal executive offices of a domestic or foreign corporation are located. See Alabama Code 45-28A-42.07
- property: includes both real and personal property. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- real property: includes lands, tenements and hereditaments. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Record date: means the date established under Article 6 or 7 on which a corporation determines the identity of its shareholders and their shareholdings for purposes of this chapter. See Alabama Code 45-28A-42.07
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- rights-of-way: as used in this title does not authorize the commission to prescribe the location or the routing of any pipeline facility;
(5) COMMISSION. See Alabama Code 37-4-90
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- Shareholder: means the person in whose name shares are registered in the records of a corporation or the beneficial owner of shares to the extent of the rights granted by a nominee certificate on file with a corporation. See Alabama Code 45-28A-42.07
- Shares: means the units into which the proprietary interests in a corporation are divided. See Alabama Code 45-28A-42.07
- state: Includes, when referring to a part of the United States, a state or commonwealth, and its agencies and governmental subdivisions, and a territory or possession, and its agencies and governmental subdivisions, of the United States. See Alabama Code 45-26-231.06
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- United States: includes the territories thereof and the District of Columbia. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608
- Voting group: means all shares of one or more classes or series that under the articles of incorporation or this chapter are entitled to vote and be counted together collectively on a matter at a meeting of shareholders. See Alabama Code 45-28A-42.07
- writing: includes typewriting and printing on paper. See Alabama Code 30-3D-608