(a) A small employer insurer offering health care insurance through a network plan is not required to offer or renew coverage or accept applications under AS 21.56.140 (a) if
Terms Used In Alaska Statutes 21.56.160 - Exemption from required offer of coverage
- contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
(1) the small employer does not have eligible employees or dependents who live, work, or reside in the service area for the network plan; or
(2) the small employer insurer demonstrates to the director that the small employer insurer
(A) will not have the capacity to deliver services adequately to eligible employees or dependents of additional groups because of the small employer insurer’s obligation to existing group contract holders and covered employees or dependents; and
(B) applies this subsection uniformly without regard to the claims experience of the employers and their employees and dependents or to a health status factor relating to the employees and dependents.
(b) A small employer insurer offering health care insurance is not required to offer or accept applications under AS 21.56.140 (a) if
(1) the small employer insurer is only maintaining in-force business and has ceased enrolling new employer groups on or before January 1, 1993; or
(2) the certificate of authority or bylaws of an insurer does not permit the insurer to issue coverage on a marketwide basis; however, an insurer described in this paragraph shall comply with AS 21.56.140 regarding small employers that meet the requirements of the insurer’s certificate of authority or bylaws.
(c) A small employer insurer who denies health care insurance coverage in a service area under (a) of this section may not offer coverage in the small employer market within that service area for a period of 180 days after the date the coverage is denied.
(d) If a small employer insurer demonstrates or the director determines under AS 21.09.175 that a small employer insurer does not have the financial reserves necessary to underwrite additional coverage, the small employer insurer may not offer or renew health care insurance coverage in the small employer group market. The small employer insurer may not reenter the small employer group market until the director has determined that the insurer has sufficient financial reserves to underwrite additional coverage.